Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-04-2009, 01:05 PM   #1

Share |

Adding an outdoor light

Our house was flooded last summer and while we had 2 feet of drywall tore out, I added some outlets we always wished we'd had and a switch and wiring for a light by our back door. I forgot to put a box in for the light before the drywaller came, though, so now I have romex hanging out of a hole in the house and no way to mount the light fixture.

My original plan was to cut a hole in the drywall and mount the box, then have the drywaller patch it up and texture when he came. Now I don't want to do it, since it's textured and matches 100% and it's already painted. The house has vinyl siding with the foam walls (not fiberboard) and like I've said, the romex is just hanging through a hole. What is the best way to get a 4" box in there to mount my light?
qoncept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 05:13 AM   #2

Adding an outdoor light

There are a number of solutions. You could mount an exterior rated box on the surface of the siding and mount the light to that. You could cut a hole in the side of the house and recess the box into the opening. Seal the perimeter of the box so it's weather tight. There are light blocks especially made for siding that can be installed to attach the light to. You just need to match the siding profile you have and the color.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 01:40 PM   #3
Tool Geek

Adding an outdoor light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron6519 View Post
........ There are light blocks especially made for siding that can be installed to attach the light to. You just need to match the siding profile you have and the color.
Ron
Here is a Link to what Ron what Ron was referring too.
http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/skil...193225,00.html

Note that the Box in the pic is not what you have, but it could be replaced by another suggestion from Ron
Quote:
from Ron
You could mount an exterior rated box on the surface of the siding and mount the light to that.
Here is a link to an exterior box:
http://www.drillspot.com/products/31..._2G_Outlet_Box

Note that there are both square and round Exterior boxes. It depends on what type of lamp enclosure you pick. It will be flat against the siding but should still look OK depending on the choice of light fixture.
Seal up anywhere you penetrate the Vinyl and all around the perimeter with Silicone Caulk.

GE has a new paintable Silicon Caulk:
http://www.drillspot.com/products/31...licone_Sealant
(also available at most Paint stores)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

& Stay Safe
.....Bob Lavery
PaliBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 02:14 PM   #4
Tool Geek

Adding an outdoor light

Arlington has four different plastic fixture boxes that match up with exterior siding profiles. They also have a 'Universal' adapter that converts the normal flat style box for use on any siding type.
http://www.aifittings.com/whnew110.htm

Attached Thumbnails
Adding an outdoor light-arlington-fixture-boxes.jpg  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

& Stay Safe
.....Bob Lavery
PaliBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 12:37 PM   #5

Adding an outdoor light

I think I'm going to go ahead and just cut the hole, i have a bezel 6" square bezel that will cover everything that I can caulk around. It's getting to be warm enough to do this pretty soon so I'll let you know how it turns out. Thanks for the input!
qoncept is offline   Reply With Quote