Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-05-2008, 06:22 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Adding a mudroom/front entrance

Hello everyone,
I am looking to put a portico / mudroom entrance to the front of my 1940's bungalow in Toronto, Canada. Winters are are tough so we want to put an enclosed area. I'm handy and do a lot on the house, but feel this is beyond my skill level. Where do I start? Finding an architect or can a contractor handle this without an architect's plans? Sorry for the novice question.
Jon

jonnybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 12:05 PM   #2
BUILDER / REMODELING CONT

Rewards Points: 0

Adding a mudroom/front entrance

I would strongly suggest hiring the services of the architect, More then likely you will need a building permit for this project, Here any type of structure that is attached to the house must obtain a building permit,
survey of the property, three set of plains signed and stamped by a licensed engineer or architect.
This way you will see what the project will look like before its constructed. its easier to make changes at this point then half way through the construction phase. Plus you will be able to submit the plains out for bids , and get quotes on apples to apples. not apples to orange
I will not bid or build anything with out a copy of the plans that the owner has submitted to me.

Last edited by buletbob; 07-05-2008 at 12:13 PM.
buletbob is offline   Reply With Quote