Adding More Structural Support To Pole Barn - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-09-2010, 11:38 AM   #1
DIY

Rewards Points: 10

Adding more structural support to Pole barn

I have a 40x48 foot pole barn with an 18 foot door on the 40' side that faces south. The rafters are 2x8 with 2x4 supporting gussets and the rafters are spaced every 8 feet. We are in northern Iowa so our snow load is at least 40...The pole barn is supported by telephone poles. I would like to re-do this shed with new steel ans insulate and heat and as well and replace the 18 foot sliding door with 2, 10x 12 foot overhead doors....the problem is I dont feel like I have enough rafter support to support steel/insulation...I have been thinking about 1 - I-Beam that would go under the rafters and support the rafters perpindicularly.....What size i-Beam would that consist of ....and is this a lost cause would it be cheaper to start all over with a new building? or could I use LVL to span 40 feet and add those inbtween each rafter to help support the metal/insualtion....A clear span would be myt first preference....I am wanting to cost it our both ways....

Advertisement

Dallasjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 12:22 PM   #2
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 2,178

Sounds like you need an engineer to design some alternatives and prepare cost estimates for each. Alternatively, you could go to contractors, tell them what you want, and ask them for design/build options with pricing. While there may be people on this forum who feel comfortable designing a pole barn renovation over the net, and costing it, I am not one of them. This sounds like a complicated project that requires hands on engineering from a local structural engineer or architect.

Advertisement

Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Daniel Holzman For This Useful Post:
jlhaslip (11-09-2010)
Old 11-15-2010, 10:49 AM   #3
DIY

Rewards Points: 10

I was wondering if anybody has done this before....I do have access to an engineer...Thanks!
Dallasjohn is offline   Reply With Quote