Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-14-2012, 12:50 PM   #1

Share |

Adding large one story addition

Attached are three photos of project home. Only 850 feet with the odd roof line (what do you call this type of roof line?) Yes, I know it is not much to look at yet.

Plan is to add a very large addition or continuation of home. As much as 2000 more square feet.

Trying to figure best direction to go. Would like to go add off the back and L off to the left.

Opinions as to type of addition. Create another (longer) living space box and attach to back of existing. Perhaps attach two car garage to right side of building and additional space out the back.

Can anyone recommend a website or resource that might provide me good ides for adding on to this?
Attached Images

mannerofspeakin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 01:03 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

The first thing you would need to determine is if the footers can handle the extra load. That would mean getting in touch with a architect and a engineer. Then there would be the permits, securing of a loan if you do not have cash readily available, then purchasing of materials, demolition of the original structure or removal of the roof. Most likely you will find out that the original structure is not sound enough for the addition, so in turn will end up demoing it to build a whole new structure.

So really, there is no easy method to what you wish to do, nor are then any websites out there that will give you freely available information that it takes a educated person in architecture and engineering will only be able to tell you what you can and can not do.

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 01:18 PM   #3
Busy DIYer

Do you really have the need for 2000sf?

Why not build what you have the need for, smaller is more efficient.
picflight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 01:22 PM   #4
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

As the previous poster stated; that is not a cookie cutter project, of which you can simply find internet general information on.

I also agree with the point made; that your starting point is to contact an architectural design firm, person, or company, that will be able to look at the actual specifics of the existing foundation, existing home framing, zoning laws, setbacks, electrical, heating, septic, and plumbing upgrades, etc, etc. Again, you will not find such specific information (related to modifying and adding on to your existing structure and location codes/laws/etc.) - on the internet.
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 03:43 PM   #5
journeyman carpenter

from what i see of the existing, when you contact contractors you may want to have them price it up both as a addition and as a tear down/ rebuild.

a small house like that wont cost much to tear down and get rid of plus it can be done in under an hour with a excavotor. trying to completely restructure a small place like that will take much longer and can possibly cost more than starting fresh. ive done several of these and on some of them the cost of building new was nearly $100,000 less than modifiying the existing to suit the drawings
woodworkbykirk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to woodworkbykirk For This Useful Post:
mae-ling (04-14-2012), user1007 (04-14-2012)
Old 04-14-2012, 05:26 PM   #6
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodworkbykirk View Post
from what i see of the existing, when you contact contractors you may want to have them price it up both as a addition and as a tear down/ rebuild.

a small house like that wont cost much to tear down and get rid of plus it can be done in under an hour with a excavotor. trying to completely restructure a small place like that will take much longer and can possibly cost more than starting fresh. ive done several of these and on some of them the cost of building new was nearly $100,000 less than modifiying the existing to suit the drawings
I was also thinking the same thing. Start all new if possible.
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 06:22 PM   #7
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Especially if the new footprint and foundation is going to be 2.5 times that of the original structure. I think adding 2000sf to the existing floorplan could end up looking a bit weird and infrastructure is no doubt going to have to be moved to the addition anyhow?

I guess you could look on the internet for some 2800sf floorplans you like and see if existing structure would drop in place. I don't see that you will gain much over starting from scratch with something you really like though. And as mentioned, do you need 2800sf. That is quite a bit of one story house!

Last edited by user1007; 04-14-2012 at 06:25 PM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote