Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-27-2009, 11:51 AM   #1
Ohming

Share |

Adding insulation to a wall

I have a wall with 2x4 studs that I will "fir out" to a 2x6 width to add more insulation to.

Can I double up the existing R-11, transfering from half of the wall, and add R-19 to the other half? If doubling, should I remove the vapor barrier on the inner layer if present?

Ohming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 11:57 AM   #2

Only 1 vapor barrier/retarder should be pesent
Ideally it should be up against the heated space
I haven't seen R11 in a while, I use R15 for 2x4 walls, R19 for 2x6

2 layers of R13 are actually for a 7" wall, a 2x6 wall is only 5.5"
So you will be compressing the insulation some
But it will work

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 12:11 PM   #3
Ohming

Thanks Dave. Its old foil backed insulation from forever-ago that is existing, trying to stretch the remodel dollar.
Old 08-27-2009, 12:17 PM   #4

I have even older insulation here - R7 house built in the 50's
I've replaced everything on the 2nd floor
I also do 2x6 construction on new areas to addd more insulation
Saving on heating cost is my concern here
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 01:35 PM   #5

As Dave said, it will work..... you will be losing 16%, or be 84% effective as you will compress it.
Wall

Since fiber glass blankets compress so easily, can I increase the effectiveness of my insulation by squeezing a 5 1/2", R-21 blanket into a 2 x 4 wall instead of using 3 1/2", R-15 blankets?
No. Compressing fiber glass blanket insulation into a smaller wall space will not necessarily increase your insulation's efficiency. Fiber glass insulation works on the principle of trapped air pockets. By compressing fiber glass insulation, you decrease the amount of air trapped in the material. For example, compressing R-19 into a 2x4 wall will give you an R-13 value. It would be better to buy the product that best fits in the space. R-13 or R-15 batts are the best products for a 2x4 wall.
To see a general compression chart, click here. That from the Pink Panther: http://saveenergy.owenscorningblog.c...questions.html

If it's on the sunny side of the house, it would not be a problem. Otherwise, you could use it in the attic and buy new, unless the money just isn't there. I totally understand that.

My son lives in Cheney, going to Eastern. He's renting, and I'm glad, that's a long drive from Tacoma where I'm at. lol. Be safe, G
Gary in WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 01:52 PM   #6
Ohming

Nice link GBR, interesting numbers, I had no idea about compession / R value association. I will start fresh with correct sized insulation (R19 / 21) and transfer the old stuff to the interior wall on the other side of the room for sound dampening.

Eastern is a good school, he is now on the cold side of the state. Maybe he will spend more time studying, lol. Best/