Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-31-2010, 09:17 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

adding insulation to inside of exterior walls

we live in New Jersey in a 50 yr old house. We have removed the old paneling in our family room which is built on a slab,( room is always cold) and are going to install drywall Th exterior walls have insulation, but i am sure we need to add to it. Its only about 2 inches (Owens Corning) and I have no idea what the R value is, and has a brown paper vapor barrier facing toward the room. From reading other posts on insulation, it seems that I add unfaced batts perpendicular to the existing insulation, but I am not sure what R value i should look for. Also I have one wall the backs onto an unheated storage room. That wall is now not insulated. It doesn't feel cold. Should I insulate it as well? Any advice would be really welcomed
thanks
daryl

darylbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 09:30 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

R15 I think is the highest Rvalue on a 2x4 wall
R13 is what you will normally find

2" might only be R6/7

They do not have 2" batts
You would need to take out what is there & add new
Or take out the existing batts & use 2 of those batts in each stud bay
Then buy more to fill the empty bays

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 10:01 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

"we live in New Jersey in a 50 yr old house." -------- R-13 is suggested for zip 070, in exterior walls.

"Its only about 2 inches (Owens Corning) and I have no idea what the R value is," ---- may be rock wool, 2" thick - R-value of 5.

"it seems that I add unfaced batts perpendicular to the existing insulation" ---- NO, only in attics- perpendicular.

Don't use two of the existing batts in a bay with both vapor retarder papers on, as suggested. Leave the front v.r. only: http://www.ornl.gov/sci/roofs+walls/...on/ins_06.html Air seal while the bays are empty.

" Should I insulate it as well?" ----- YES.

Be safe, Gary
Old 02-01-2010, 07:38 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 250

I would remove all the insulation have the walls spray foamed (closed cellular is R7 to R8/Inch). Min code in the northeast is R19 but its at least better than what you have.

Are the studs 2x4? If so put in new stuff
wnabcptrNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 08:18 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 10
Wink

thanks for the help consensus seems to be that i remove the existing insulation and add the largest R value i can get into the space.
thanks again
daryl
darylbe is offline   Reply With Quote