Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-02-2008, 09:14 PM   #1

Share |

Adding insulation?

Last year I moved into a new home that has 8-10 inches of blown in, cellulose fiber attic insulation. I'd like to increase the insulation to the government recommended 15.5". Should I have more cellulose insulation blown in, replace the cellulose fiber with pink fiberglass batted insulation, or add Fiberglas insulation over the blown in stuff?

Thanks,
Kelly

kcrossley2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 05:25 AM   #2
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Adding insulation?

I'd say to add more cellulose.

AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 07:43 PM   #3
What can I find here?

Adding insulation?

I too would add more cellulose. If you purchase enough, may retailers will give you the machine at no charge. It's a two person job, one feeding the machine and the other up in the attic. But it's relatively a simple process. Start the furthest distance away from your attic entrance and work yourself back. Most of these machine have a wired remote that allow the person up in the attic to control the output of the machine. Allowing you to move on to the next section and/or to monitor your progress (area covered plus depth compared to the amount of bags used).

Best of luck!
Winchester is offline   Reply With Quote