Adding Garage Ceiling Joists - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum


Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2006, 01:37 PM   #1
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 8
Rewards Points: 10
Question

adding garage ceiling joists


Hi folks, thanks for taking the time to read my question (and hopefully respond).

I have a 38' x 22' detached 4 car garage, which has no ceiling, and I would like to install a drywall ceiling. It has no ceiling joists at present, just 48" o.c. 2x6 collar ties running the "short" way. I would like to add ceiling joists running the same way. From the span tables I checked, to be able to run that 22' span, support the drywall (possibly two layers, for soundproofing), and a little storage above, I would be 2x10s.

My question is about installation: the 5:12 pitch roof drops to about 6" above the wall top plates, so the full 2x10 wouldn't fit there. Is my best option to:
  1. notch out the ends of the 2x10s, so they are only 6" tall over the supporting walls?
  2. bolt ledger boards to the stud walls, and attach the joists to the top (or edge?) of those ledger boards (did some searching, but didn't find a picture that shows how the joists mount to a ledger board)
  3. mount the 2x10s to the tops of new stud walls, framed an inch inside the existing walls (planning that anyway, since half of the garage will be converted into a home theater / music studio)
Here are a couple pictures:






Thanks...

Advertisement


Last edited by bhorstkotte; 10-16-2006 at 01:42 PM.
bhorstkotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 04:26 PM   #2
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 2,083
Rewards Points: 1,000
Default

adding garage ceiling joists


Quote:
Originally Posted by bhorstkotte View Post

My question is about installation: the 5:12 pitch roof drops to about 6" above the wall top plates, so the full 2x10 wouldn't fit there. Is my best option to:
  1. notch out the ends of the 2x10s, so they are only 6" tall over the supporting walls?
  2. bolt ledger boards to the stud walls, and attach the joists to the top (or edge?) of those ledger boards (did some searching, but didn't find a picture that shows how the joists mount to a ledger board)
  3. mount the 2x10s to the tops of new stud walls, framed an inch inside the existing walls (planning that anyway, since half of the garage will be converted into a home theater / music studio)

Thanks...

1) you could cut the angle of the roof on the 2x10 instead of notching.
2)If you bolt a ledger board then you could mount joist hangers and insert the 2x10's into the hangers and fully nail.
3)you could also mount the 2x10 to the top of the new walls.

Advertisement

redline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 04:59 PM   #3
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 8
Rewards Points: 10
Default

adding garage ceiling joists


Thanks redline...

Quote:
Originally Posted by redline View Post
1) you could cut the angle of the roof on the 2x10 instead of notching.
Right, that's what I meant, vs. notching.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redline View Post
2)If you bolt a ledger board then you could mount joist hangers and insert the 2x10's into the hangers and fully nail.
3)you could also mount the 2x10 to the top of the new walls.
So basically, any of those options would work? Any preferable to the others? Any other options I didn't think of?
bhorstkotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 09:58 PM   #4
Extreme DIY'r Adk's, NY
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 293
Rewards Points: 250
Default

adding garage ceiling joists


One other alternative...not that it's better... you could throw the joists up, maybe even every other if there's absolutely no attic load (see span charts) on top of the top plate (cut roof pitch as stated to get full bearing) then you could fir down the ceiling joists 16 oc the opposite direction... this would rid of the 1.5" gap where someone forgot to compensate for the double top plate on the wall stud lengths more than likely. I like framing more than sheetrock so.. just another option since u asked.
crecore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 10:07 PM   #5
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler
 
AtlanticWBConst.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: New England
Posts: 7,556
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

adding garage ceiling joists


Quote:
Originally Posted by bhorstkotte View Post
Hi folks, thanks for taking the time to read my question (and hopefully respond).

I have a 38' x 22' detached 4 car garage, which has no ceiling, and I would like to install a drywall ceiling. It has no ceiling joists at present, just 48" o.c. 2x6 collar ties running the "short" way. I would like to add ceiling joists running the same way. From the span tables I checked, to be able to run that 22' span, support the drywall (possibly two layers, for soundproofing), and a little storage above, I would be 2x10s.

My question is about installation: the 5:12 pitch roof drops to about 6" above the wall top plates, so the full 2x10 wouldn't fit there. Is my best option to:
  1. notch out the ends of the 2x10s, so they are only 6" tall over the supporting walls?
  2. bolt ledger boards to the stud walls, and attach the joists to the top (or edge?) of those ledger boards (did some searching, but didn't find a picture that shows how the joists mount to a ledger board)
  3. mount the 2x10s to the tops of new stud walls, framed an inch inside the existing walls (planning that anyway, since half of the garage will be converted into a home theater / music studio)
Here are a couple pictures:






Thanks...

(Hard to tell if there is good space above the top plates or not, but.....)

My vote would be , assuming room on the top plates:
  1. notch out the ends of the 2x10s, so they are only 6" tall over the supporting walls?
Easiest option and what I feel most framers would do.
__________________
- Build Well -
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 05:08 PM   #6
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 8
Rewards Points: 10
Default

adding garage ceiling joists


Thanks for the help guys.

Would the collar ties need to remain after the larger joists are installed, or could they be removed? What about the corner bracing (as it is, it would interfere with the level surface of the new joists, for hanging drywall on)?
bhorstkotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 06:15 PM   #7
General Contractor
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: MA
Posts: 40
Rewards Points: 25
Default

adding garage ceiling joists


I would leave the existing collar ties. Just put in your 2 x 10's 16 o.c.. You can take the corner bracing out after you install all the ceiling joists. You will want to put blocking in between the ceiling joists in the center of the garage. The 2 x 10's will want to twist over time and this will help prevent that.
Hammatime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 06:16 PM   #8
General Contractor
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: MA
Posts: 40
Rewards Points: 25
Default

adding garage ceiling joists


Also there is no need for 2 sheets of drywall. That's just more unneeded weight on the joists.

Advertisement

Hammatime is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
garage ceiling joists josh123 Carpentry 6 07-15-2009 12:07 AM
Garage ceiling has 2X4 joists-will it hold? markd Building & Construction 13 01-06-2009 03:46 PM
Question about ceiling joists in a garage allpraisebob Carpentry 11 12-14-2006 09:00 AM
Question about ceiling joists... StlJoe Building & Construction 5 12-06-2005 12:52 PM
Spacing of ceiling joists Pineconeman Building & Construction 3 05-14-2005 12:16 AM




Top of Page | View New Posts