Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-22-2008, 11:23 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

adding to existing insulation

We are adding insulation to the existing in our attic. It is taking multiple layers in which we are criss-crossing as much as possible. I have read that we need to box around electrical and flues. Can any add some insight as to where I get these boxes and extensions for around the flues? I want to do this right so I don't have to do it again. Also, what do I do with faced insulation when I cross over electrical boxes, etc? Some have told me to cut a hole in the insulation so there is a snug fit and others have said to just roll over it. I need lots of help guys! - new gal to insulation

renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 12:43 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

After the 2nd layer, you're wasting your time and money. R-values are not cumulitive.

LawnGuyLandSparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 11:46 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 250

Your first layer of insulation should have the paper vapor barrier facing downward toward your living space. The second should NOT have paper on it. You can buy it that way.

For electrical ceiling boxes with multiple layers of insulation, Cut the insulation on the first layer so that it stops just short of any electrical boxes. For ceiling boxes (lights etc.) as long as they are not generating heat, the second layer can by laid over the top. This will create a small air space around the box. It's really not a problem though unless the boxes are generating heat. Blown insulation usually goes right over them. This goes for water heater vents as well.

The only time you have to leave an electrical fixture uncovered is when you have a recessed lighting fixture that is NOT rated for insulation contact.

The boxes, you'll have to make. Some as simple as old paneling or plywood will work. Get some 1x1's or 1x2 about 12" in length. You'll need these for the corners. Nail the 12" square paneling around it to form a box with the top and bottoms open. Put this over the fixture and voila your good to go. For stove pipes, leave plenty of room around them. Especially keep the paper vapor barrier away from them.
Randell Tarin is offline   Reply With Quote