Adding A Downspout To Existing Gutters - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-03-2011, 07:58 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Adding a downspout to existing gutters

I have a gutter going from my garage to my porch. It traverses about 12 feet back from the front corner of the garage, then turns (90 degrees) and goes about 8 feet across the front porch. There is only one downspout at the front garage corner. During heavy rains, there is a steady stream of water overflowing near the front porch. So, I'd like to add a downspout in that area.

I've seen (at the big box stores) pieces for adding downspouts. What's the best way to secure it to the existing gutters? I know there are issues with seams, any tips to reduce this?

Thanks!

Advertisement

koz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 08:22 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 256

I assume you've checked the gutter and down spouts for blockages. Are the gutters still sloped properly or are they sagging or pulled out from the fascia where the water overflows? Maybe you just need a larger downspout at the existing location?

Advertisement

daveb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 08:28 AM   #3
Willing to listen

Rewards Points: 75

Had a similar issue, and gutters were all being replaced due to hail damage so an extra downspout was added which did the trick, but I did not do the work.

Anytime you are doing gutters you need to use a seam sealer that's like caulk at any joints if you want it to be leak free. Other than that it's all sheet metal screws and straps putting it all together....not sure if that is what you were asking. Good luck.
Done That is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 10:17 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

I use rivets to attach the downspout piece to the gutter and seam sealer under the lip.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote