Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-04-2012, 02:53 PM   #1

Share |

Adding a covered porch to home questions

We decided its time to add our covered porch to the front. We have a split foyer home, popular design in this region, but cant find one house that has a porch like what we are wanting to do so making it up as we go.

First, before I even look into the permits, I need to figure out what is going to be the best foundation for it. A slab, which will put it right on the ground or footings, which will force us to raise it some, and space is tight!

We are wanting to make this 8x17.

On potential issue is where our septic tank is located. Before getting permits, Ill need to get this approved by the heath department, but I dont think it should be that big of an issue. The tanks edge rests about 13 feet from the edge of the houses foundation, but if we pour a small slab, we will be 2-3 feet from it.

With that being said, the rules on that are flexible, here is the code for it for our area.

290-5-26-.05 Septic Tank

Septic tanks shall be installed so as
to provide ready access for necessary maintenance. Normally, the distance a septic tank should
be located from a building foundation is at least ten feet (10') but, lesser distances may be
allowed by the County Board of Health.

We are county, not city, and if we can get that part approved, then we will draw up detailed plans and get a permit.

Now back to the foundation part. I think I would prefer a slab, it seems like it would be stronger and longer lasting, and maybe a little easier? Id like some thoughts on that.

Now, Its going to be a covered porch, so Ill be adding the roof for it. At the top and bottom of the rise, where it connects to the house, will I have to put a ledger for both top and bottom or just one? Below, is the rough 3d sketch I did, its not to scale, and we wont be adding any railing, or at least not yet. One thing you may notice is the bedroom that the roof will be attaching protrudes about 16 inches from the rest of the house, so more support or bracing may be needed?

Or if the ledger is under that room thing, and all my roof support is done by that and not structurally attach the top part of the rise to room.

The ceiling will remain open as I will be adding power to it in the future, but not going to go there yet.

I look forward to this project, I think it will be pretty basic with a few little twists due to the design of the house. The front porch may or may not be redone along with this project, just depends on budget. (between jobs)

Thanks in advanced if anyone can help point me is the right direction.

Adding a covered porch to home questions-left-angle.jpg

Adding a covered porch to home questions-porch.jpg
blackhemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 07:18 PM   #2
Residential Designer

Send a message via Skype™ to AndyGump

Sounds ike you are headed in the right direction regarding finding out from the heath Department about the proximity of the septic system to the porch.
As it is just a porch and not living space they may give you the go-ahead on your project.
Your designer should provide details on the construction of the roof and porch, including how the roof and ceilings will tie into the existing wall as well as railing details and weather proofing details.

Andy.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by AndyGump; 05-04-2012 at 07:45 PM.
AndyGump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 07:36 PM   #3

How much space between the bottom of the new slab and the top of the old sewer pipe?
puttster
puttster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 07:42 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by puttster View Post
How much space between the bottom of the new slab and the top of the old sewer pipe?
puttster
The clean out pipe will actually sit about one foot to the right with nothing but dirt over it. I have to dig that up anyways to put two 45s on it. The pipe has a sharp 90 degree elbow and tends to plug up easily. Ive learned to snake it quick when needed. Its 16 inches below
blackhemi is offline   Reply With Quote