Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-22-2006, 08:13 PM   #1

Share |

Adding closet to carpetted room. Sole plate on top of carpet?

Hi, I want to add a closet to a recently carpetted room (I know, I should've done it before I changed the carpet). I'm trying to decide which is best for framing, specifically the sole plate:

1) Cut carpet, then nail sole plate of frame to wooden floor (is 2nd floor of house)

2) Don't cut carpet, and nail sole plate through carpet

3) Don't cut carpet, and use gripping furniture feet attached to sole plate to prevent lateral movement.

For all three the frame will be attached per usual to the ceiling and walls. It's just the floor that's confusing me. To complicate matters, I have an under-floor radiant heater system in that room, which makes me doubly nervous about blindly driving in nails...I guess I could always use glue for the wood-on-wood if I go with option 1.

Any suggestions?

Thanks, Roy

roysoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 10:54 PM   #2

Option #1 with glue. If the carpet gets wet under the plate you'll be sorry. Plus it is tacky. I would cut the carpet, place and glue the plates then cut a couple of plate to ceiling or plate to plate studs, (nice and tight), and let the glue dry for a day or two. Then take the temp studs down and build the wall like you normally would which would probably be different than the way i would build the wall. When you get it perfect leave it alone.

You shouldn't have to worry about carprt tack strip or restreching normally untill your next carpet job.

K2eoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 11:01 PM   #3
renovations

Hammer's got it, or at least I agree, don't leave carpet under the sill plate. Put some glue on it and build the wall, it'll stay there forever.
Bonus is offline   Reply With Quote