Adding Chipboard In Attic To Increase Floor Space - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-14-2010, 10:50 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Adding chipboard in attic to increase floor space

I would like to add a little floor space in my attic. i want to make sure that my plan won't cause me grief later.

I have a small area just to the left of the door opening that is covered with blown insulation. I want to use a 4 x 8 sheet or more of 5/8 " chipboard (the same is used for the existing attic floor) to cover so I can use it for storage of cardboard boxes and packing materials (paper, foam pellets,bubble wrap etc.

Is it okay to just level off the blown insulation and tack the chipboard to the joists , taking care to slide the chipboard under the incoming coax for the cable and the phone line or do I need to do something different or additional? Is any protective gear necessary other than safety goggles and a air mask and light work gloves?

I'll post a pic or two as soon as I figure out how.

Thanks.

Advertisement

jazzisjazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 11:51 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

a dust mask, gloves, and long sleeves depending on what kind of insulation it is. My question is, can a 4x8 sheet fit through the opening?

Advertisement

sausagefingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 12:45 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

Nothing wrong with laying some OSB or plywood on the attic floor for light storage. If you were finishing the space to create living space, storing heavy items or doing anything but very light storage I'd encourage you to have the ceiling joists (attic floor) structurally evaluated.

Bear in mind that you'll probably be reducing the insulation value since you won't have any insulation above the level of the joists. In most climates, several inches of blown-in insulation is not enough.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 01:01 PM   #4
Novice with little luck

Rewards Points: 10
Send a message via AIM to bkraz Send a message via Skype™ to bkraz

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekctermite View Post
... I'd encourage you to have the ceiling joists (attic floor) structurally evaluated.
I'm a noob, here... just curious, how would one go about doing this? Who does one call? What kind of costs are involved, here?

Thanks in advance.
bkraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 03:57 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,020

New rules for attic storage floor loads: http://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=...1txlzU01V4JQIg

Figure the load/span: http://www.awc.org/calculators/span/...orizontal+Span

Gary
Old 12-16-2010, 01:11 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkraz View Post
I'm a noob, here... just curious, how would one go about doing this? Who does one call? What kind of costs are involved, here?
Most areas have residential engineers that will do site visits and structural evaluations of a certain part of a home. Around here they start at about a couple hundred bucks, but it varies from engineer to engineer and case to case. Your local Homebuilders Association could probably recommend some member engineers that do small jobs, or the City might do the same.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 04:14 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 256

what about instead of tacking the sheet to the top of the joists you first attach a few 2x4s perpendicular to the tops of these joists - and then your chipboard on top of that - keeps a few more inches insulation over the area and also maybe provides a kind of chase for the existing cables (depending on which way they run maybe you don't even have to touch them..?)

if it's just for storage for a few boxes why not? just thinking out loud...
rtoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 04:33 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,020

Lol, I do that too! How about run the 2x's on spacers,1-1/2" high, then rips of plywood a foot wide to let the moisture vapor through from below rather than condense on the underside..... The spacers only over the joist's bearing walls-- 2x4 at 24"o.c. span 8'8", 16"o.c.- 9'10" with 10# per sq.ft. live load. Plywood will take moisture better than chipboard.

Gary

Advertisement