Adding Ceiling Joists In Garage - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-01-2011, 05:38 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Adding ceiling joists in garage

For what I have read on this awesome site, my garage was "stick built" The rafters are at 16" on center, the walls (already insulated and drywalled by previous owner) are also 16" on center. But the ceiling joists are 48" on center. For what I've read, this is a/was common practice. The garage was built in 1985, which attaches to the house (which was built in 1948-1950, depending where you look) The garage is 23 (deep, same as joists) by 24'

Now, my problem is that I would like to drywall the ceiling and insulate. (no storage, just access hole for inspection reasons)

Now, the current Joists are 48" on center, but are a 2x6x14' board spliced to a 2x6x12' board. Is that still ok? Can I continue this practice to put them at 16" centers, then put up drywall. The only things I will be mounting to the ceiling are a few lights, so load is not anything other than the 1/2" drywall.

The current joists are tied to the rafters in the center.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Raley

Now for the pictures.

Advertisement

raley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 07:13 PM   #2
Residential Designer

Rewards Points: 552
Send a message via Skype™ to AndyGump

Undoubtedly your "ceiling joist" are not meant to be actual ceiling joists, just there to make sure the walls do not bow out from the loads.
If you want to put ceiling joist up there and drywall I think you would need to find out the code for your area for that that particular purpose.

Andy.

Advertisement

AndyGump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 11:24 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,000

"...so load is not anything other than the 1/2" drywall." Which is not trivial, at 70 lbs/sht (5/8"). A 2x6 on a 24' span will not hold much, if even itself; are those vertical braces up to a peak of the rafter on these "joists"? If so, that cuts your span in half, which is far better. I think you best see an engineer or a truss builder, and see what you need to do. It may be as simple as "building trusses", using the 2x6s as you suggested and running some bracing to the rafters. Dunno. That is not layman calculations (not mine anyway; I have never been trained in truss loads, but I know they get tricky).
jklingel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 11:28 PM   #4

Yes, they are tied to the ridge beam. Thats what i was afraid of hearing, but glad i didnt "just try it"
Old 11-01-2011, 11:46 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,000

Wise call. Loads on things are not as simple as they look, as I learned asking an engineer about how far I could cantilever a beam to support a deck. The preceding sections of beam (on posts) were not loaded as I thought, but what he said made sense. I guess that is why you either get experience (which often means "FU and crash", for me) or consult someone who has learned the easy way. Let us know what you learn, then we can, too. j
jklingel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 07:04 AM   #6

I drew something up in solidworks last night and will be asking the strutural engineers at work today. Its park stuctures, so its actually the same building codes just steel and not wood (their calculation programs still can do it)
Old 11-02-2011, 08:44 AM   #7

I think you're putting too much thought into it. You have to fill in your "joists" anyway (24" o.c. should be fine) splice them in the middle and throw a stiff back on top of the existing joists. If you're still concerned, make gussets for the peaks of existing rafters. I'm no engineer, but have done enough of this stuff to know what makes sense

Advertisement

breal is offline   Reply With Quote