DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Adding attic insulation

4K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  jogr 
#1 ·
I want to add insulation over my existing insulation in my attic. The trusses are spaced 22" oc. My current insulation is fiberglass faced bats 22" that is probably 6" to 8" high.
Lowes has a sale on 15" unfaced insulation going on right now (R30). I am planning on just running this perpendicular to the existing insulation. Is this the right type of insulation to run? Should I just buy a wider unfaced insulation? I live in Florida.

My last question is in regards to a mezzanine in the attic. There is insulation under the mezzanine. Should I run the unfaced bats over the mezzanine? Will this cause any condensation problems (plywood acting as second vapor barrier)?

#4 ·
If you aren't getting condensation now I wouldn't think adding insulation to the top would cause it. Just run it on over as you said.

I did exactly what you described a few years ago and it made a noticeable difference in how often my A/C and furnace run.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.