Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-31-2009, 04:09 PM   #1

Share |

Adding add'l support for beam

We're replacing the ceiling and walls in our kitchen. While we've got the walls and ceiling open we've noticed that the header that was added some time ago* to support part of the second floor is supported by a pair of 2x4 on one end. There's an opening in the floor that seems to be where a 4x4 would fit, but there's no 4x4 there. This has supported the 2nd floor and roof load for 25+ years, but since it's open we don't see the harm in adding some "help." Pix will follow this evening.

First, is there any harm in adding help? IOW, can I cause a problem by adding another support?

Second, should I add a 4x4, or a lally column? And do I just size the height and force it in there with a hammer like a well fitted wall stud? Or use a screw lally and adjust the height once it's in there.

Third, should I nail/lag this new member to the old 2x4s? I'm reluctant to touch them as their bearing the weight now.

Thx.

* = Before we bought, and we bought in 95. Likely when the back extension was added, near as we can tell early 80s.

WaldenL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 05:14 PM   #2
Civil Engineer

No, there should be no harm installing an additional support, provided you don't force it in and do some damage in the process. As for me, if I were inclined to add support, I would screw a second 2x4 to the existing 2x4, use construction rated screws (i.e. Simpson structural rated screws), and follow the recommended pattern. Much easier than adding a 4x4.

Daniel Holzman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 05:23 PM   #3

There are currently 2 2x4s next to each other, can't tell how well/if they're attached, I'd imagine (hope) they are. Why do you feel a 2x4 would be easier? Just simpler to get it in there since it's only 2" wide not 4" wide?

How about 2 more 2x4? Any additional benefit? There's room. I'm not looking to add work, but with the walls open spending a couple extra bucks on a 2x4 seems to make sense to me. Perhaps a 2x4 screwed to the existing ones. And then another 2x4 screwed to that one?

As for the screws, something available in a lowes/home depot? And is the recommended pattern on the box? Screws better then nail-gun driven nails?
Old 09-01-2009, 09:00 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldenL View Post
Pix will follow this evening.
OK, shot them last night, just posting now.