Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-10-2008, 01:13 PM   #1

Share |

Adding a 2nd Floor Bedroom - $65/sq ft???

I know very little about remodeling / construction so I am looking for insight from someone who knows more than I.

I am thinking about adding a 2nd floor room in my house by finishing attic space within my existing roofline. I will not have to change the roofline or footprint of the house. Additional supports will be needed to compensate for the trusses that will be re-engineered to free up the space.

I've got an estimate from a contractor that has worked with my family before. The total cost, which includes all finish work and a new window and skylight, comes to $65 per square foot. At that price would it make financial sense to do the addition? The main purpose for the addition is to utilize the space and add a 4th room, but I don't want to do it if the cost just doesn't make sense from a value perspective.

If it matters, I live near Seattle, WA and my house is about 1,900 sqft and worth somewhere in the mid to high 400's (who really knows these days). I would be adding a little over 200 sqft.

Thanks!

Last edited by schmitty34; 06-10-2008 at 03:57 PM.
schmitty34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 03:39 PM   #2

The best way to compare, is to call a few other contractors and get other estimates. If you have plans, it will be easier to compare prices as they are bidding on the same parameters.
Ron

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 04:00 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron6519 View Post
The best way to compare, is to call a few other contractors and get other estimates. If you have plans, it will be easier to compare prices as they are bidding on the same parameters.
Ron
Thanks for the response Ron. I edited my original post to clarify my question. I'm not as concerned about the estimate from this contractor, I'm really just trying to determine if the addition is money well spent given the cost...$13k to add a 200 sqft. room.
schmitty34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 03:28 PM   #4

So check with the real estate people in your area. What are the houses going for with the # of bedrooms you have vs. the # of bedrooms you will have.
As long as this room is designed and executed properly, doesn't sound like you can lose. An added bath up there would be an additional enhancement to the house, even if you needed a dormer to fit it in.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 09:24 AM   #5

I'm no expert but i would think a $13k addition would make sense in a $400K home. do you plan on selling in the future? if not, i wouldn't worry about it. google: home addition adds value or something like that. You'll find many articles.
annie68164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 09:36 AM   #6

Might be good to add a master suite (room and bath). Even if you were in the 25K range, I would think you will get that back. GOing for a 3 bedroom, to a 4 with a master suite is a nice offering.

Are other house's in your area built newer with a bathroom in the master? If so, do a master suite.

I had a 3 bedroom house (1 full up and down). I added an 18x18 great room and then above that a master bedroom. I am now selling my house and the biggest knock is no dedicated master bath. I am still getting my money back, but would have had the house sold much sooner if I had th bath.

dcd22 is offline   Reply With Quote