Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-29-2012, 09:29 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Adding a 2nd Floor

My husband and I own a 1 story house (not sure if it would be considered ranch or bungalow), it is a little over 1500 sq ft. We have a small lot so we can't add onto the back, front, or sides and are thinking of going up. Can anyone give me an idea on how much it cost them to add on? I have read some things on raising a roof, but I'm not sure how feasible that is. Our plan is to add the stairs where we have a couple of closets right now to help keep our current floor plan as close as possible to the way it is now. We would like to add a master suite (with bath), bedroom, and living area upstairs. We would bring the house straight up from the way it is now, but one of the rooms would have high ceilings as it would be open above it. The upstairs living area would look down to the living room and would just be blocked off with banners. My husband and father in law can do a little bit of the work like the dry wall but we would pay someone to do all of the electrical, AC, plumbing, tile work, etc.

Thank you for any advice or suggestions that you may have.

mkp182005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 10:10 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 514

Adding a 2nd Floor

Sorry but costs vary from one area to another, so to ask how much on a site that is world wide is unrealistic. Sorry.

framer52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 05:04 PM   #3
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,316

Adding a 2nd Floor

Lets ignore the cost for now....but look at the logistics involved.

Your existing house has a foundation designed for one floor. To put a second floor on top of that will require signification foundation improments....look up 'under pinning'....

Raising the roof? Easier said than done. In most cases the roof is so old that it would cost more in labor to raise it than to just build a new one.

Do you plan to live in the house while all this is going on? Not likely....

If your looking to add a 2nd floor the size of the first, most people would just tear down all but one wall and pretty much start from scratch.

I understand the going rate is 'around' $120/sq foot for new construction....which is highly dependant on the area you live in....

At a miniumumm, you are looking at $150K +.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 07:31 PM   #4
Framing Contractor

Rewards Points: 1,000

Adding a 2nd Floor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg16 View Post

Your existing house has a foundation designed for one floor.
That's not true at all. Maybe where your from it might be but where I'm from a foundation for a one story house or two story house is built the same. You can put a second story on any one story home without doing anything to the foundation or footings unless you are on the water.

Quote:
To put a second floor on top of that will require signification foundation improments....look up 'under pinning'....
Again...not true, maybe where your from.

Quote:
If your looking to add a 2nd floor the size of the first, most people would just tear down all but one wall and pretty much start from scratch.
Not true at all. Where do you come up with this stuff. You do one addition on your home and you act like you've been a contractor your whole life. You give out a lot of false information here.

Quote:
'I understand the going rate is 'around' $120/sq foot for new construction....which is highly dependant on the area you live in....
At a miniumumm, you are looking at $150K +
Unbelievable....again false information. You have no idea what you are talking about and you insist on giving out numbers.
Old 05-29-2012, 07:37 PM   #5
Framing Contractor

Adding a 2nd Floor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkp182005 View Post
Can anyone give me an idea on how much it cost them to add on?
Sorry but pricing cannot be answered here. Read the sticky at the top of the page. Do yourself a favor and do not listen to the numbers that ddawg16 posted. They are very misleading.
Old 05-29-2012, 07:43 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 75

Adding a 2nd Floor

Quote:
Lets ignore the cost for now....but look at the logistics involved.

Your existing house has a foundation designed for one floor. To put a second floor on top of that will require signification foundation improments....look up 'under pinning'....

Raising the roof? Easier said than done. In most cases the roof is so old that it would cost more in labor to raise it than to just build a new one.

I understand the going rate is 'around' $120/sq foot for new construction....which is highly dependant on the area you live in....

At a miniumumm, you are looking at $150K +.
As usual, your post is full of bologna. "Add-a-levels" are very common, MUCH less expensive than rebuilding the entire house, and you're even able to live in the house while it's being done. "Add-a-levels" are very common around here, they are often put on top of "Cape Cod" style houses which are prevalent in my area.
Macro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 07:51 PM   #7
Framing Contractor

Adding a 2nd Floor

Quote:

Again, you have no idea what you are talking about. Not every add-a-level has work to be done on the first first except the normal stair change or maybe no stair change. I've done tons of AAL's where the homeowners can live there.

So...do yourself a favor and stop comparing your house...the one addition you've done your whole life and STOP giving out the wrong information and scaring people away from doing work on their house. You are not a contractor and do this for a living. This is why you give out the wrong information.
Old 05-29-2012, 07:57 PM   #8

Adding a 2nd Floor

Joe, I am glad to see that I am not the only person who sees this guy for what he really is.

Earlier today he pulled the same type of crap.
Macro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 08:04 PM   #9
Framing Contractor

Adding a 2nd Floor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macro View Post
Joe, I am glad to see that I am not the only person who sees this guy for what he really is.

Earlier today he pulled the same type of crap.
He does the same thing on the forum. He compares his house to everyone's project. He clueless.
Old 05-30-2012, 01:19 AM   #10
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,316

Adding a 2nd Floor

You two are going to get along just fine.....

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 01:55 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 2,016

Adding a 2nd Floor

MKP182005,

I would recommend that you first see your local building official and find out what requirements you will have to meet. The building official may require a professional engineer's review of the foundation and soil to determine if the existing foundation and footing can support the additional load of a second floor. Even if they do not require it I would highly recommend it.

You may need to hire someone to design the second floor addition and prepare drawings for submittal for your building permit, and for the actual construction. Depending on your location you may have to meet high wind codes requiring the construction of shearwalls and installation of holdown devices to resist the forces of the wind. Determination of loads, including point loads will be needed so that the structural elements are properly designed. Find someone knowledgeable not merely someone that knows how to use a computer program. After all you get what you pay for. The design actually determines the cost of construction.

Turning a ranch into a colonial or cape cod style home is not a difficult process if you enlist knowledge people as a part of your team. Again the local building official can usually point you in the direction of such knowledgeable people. I myself have designed about a dozen second floor additions over the past two years. The economy in my area dictates adding on to what you have and one-story ranches are fairly reasonable as most local prefer something larger.

Good luck with your project!

"You get what you pay for, and sometimes free costs more!"
GBrackins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 07:27 AM   #12
Framing Contractor

Adding a 2nd Floor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg16
You two are going to get along just fine.....
Just speaking the truth. Why don't you explain the things I pointed out in your first post in detail since you've done do many add-a-levels and have years and years of experience.

Like how you know his foundation is only designed for a first floor.

How you know they can't live in the house during an AAL

Oh....don't respond to your imaginary numbers you keep throwing out.
Old 05-30-2012, 08:48 AM   #13
DIY-er

Adding a 2nd Floor

There are three basic ways to figure out the costs.

1) Call contractors and get a quote

2) Use online cost calculators - some are good for general guess-timates, and some are more detailed

3) Use a cost calculation worksheet - You can use the worksheet for any type of addition - second story buildover, bump-out, one room addition, garage addition, and also for bathroom and kitchen remodelling. The worksheet works best when you are sure of the type of construction that you want and some of the details. However, if you are unsure, the worksheet gives a great checklist of the tasks involved, including calculating costs for plumbing and electrical, HVAC, windows, drywall and insulation, etc.

Hope this helps.

KevinPh is offline   Reply With Quote