Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-28-2011, 04:45 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

add a carport to my shop?

The building in the photo is 19' x 30' and it's built with gargantuan fir glue-laminated beams that are probably about 6" x 16" each. 6 upright beams, and then horizontals all along the top and bottom of every wall. The previous owner built this thing from mostly recycled materials, but it is a good solid structure. The rafters are 5:12 pitch on 24" centres, and the foundation is comprised of 6 sonno-tubes, which isn't likely to building code for this area. I asked a building inspector about this and he said there should probably be about double that many tubes, but the structure has been there for 10 years and there aren't any signs of movement or stress. A leaky tin roof up top and I'd like to replace it next summer. Not sure yet whether to go with tin or shingles...

When I re-roof I want to add some covered parking to the right side of the building, if possible. I don't have the budget to re-truss the shop; I am looking for a simple add-on if possible.

The easiest way to accomplish what I want to do would be to run some heavy fir rafters off the top of the wall at the right, which would give me enough parking space to fit my truck and the utility trailer under cover (nice to keep it out of the snow). The extended roof would be supported by another three sonneau tubes and beams.

The main question I have is about what to do with the roof pitch. While the shed is high enough that I could maintain the same 5:12 pitch, I could get a wider parking space if I dropped the pitch to about 3:12. This would result in snow accumulating where the roof pitch drops off. Not optimal, but the design is very common around here with both shingle and steel roofs.

Any comments/thoughts about this?
Attached Thumbnails
add a carport to my shop?-shop.jpg  

longshanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 12:44 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

Any chance of differential settling between old and new? That is what I'd worry about if I tied them together without locking the foundation systems together. Why not a plastic garage-in-a-box? UV protect it and it will likely be there for 10 yrs.

jklingel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 10:22 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

ha! just to the left of that photo is my $200 costco plastic garage. It doesn't have much life left in it; when I had to knock snow off it last winter (I do it regularly) the tarp ripped at -20C. So, I've decided to make something a little more permanent.
longshanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 11:10 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,000

My $200 Costco made it 6 yrs, surviving many -40 days. It still stands, but one end is torn on one side; in fact, I have to knock 3" of snow off the rest of it. I bought a $480 green one last summer, and it is SUPPOSED to last 10 yrs, even up here. Shall see. Anyway, good luck building, whichever way you choose to go.
jklingel is offline   Reply With Quote