Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-13-2011, 04:35 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 150

ADA shower stall compliance

I chair the committee to design a small youth building for my church. They would like showers in the building. I explained it MUST be ADA compliant just like the toilets and lavs. I found gov't site that specs ADA showers. It is attached below, but you will have to open the attachment to see it.

Also shown is my drawing for the shower for our building. The approach area is longer than the 36" required in the gov't spec. My question is, what does "parallel approach" mean in the context of the ADA drawing, and does it affect the location of my door opening to the shower I proposed to my church?

Also, I figured this was more about construction than plumbing, but if it needs to be moved to plumbing be my guest.

Thanks in advance.
David
Attached Thumbnails
ADA shower stall compliance-restroom.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: doc Figure 35a.doc (33.5 KB, 85 views)

Last edited by n175h; 12-13-2011 at 04:44 PM.
n175h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 04:43 PM   #2
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,192

Don't know what that drawing is all about but toilet partitioned areas as well as showers must have room for a 60" minimum diameter imaginary circle to be able to rotate a wheel chair full circle and close any door there may be. There can be no curbs. Preferably the floors are to remain flat but a small roll-over curb is acceptable as long as there are no ridges or thumps. The floor slope cannnot be greater than a fall of 1/4" per foot.

Last edited by Bud Cline; 12-14-2011 at 10:09 AM. Reason: fixin dumb stuff
Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bud Cline For This Useful Post:
ben's plumbing (12-13-2011)
Old 12-14-2011, 09:06 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 152

Thanks Bud.

Parallel approach...that would be along side the toilet.

Architectural Changes
The revised regulations include changes to physical access requirements that would affect areas such as restrooms. For example, the old regulations required that a restroom be configured with a "front" method of allowing a person to transfer from a wheelchair to a toilet. A single-user room or stall must now must provide clearance for both a forward and a parallel approach. The in-swinging doors of single use toilet or bathing rooms may swing into the clearance around any fixture if clear floor space is provided within the toilet room beyond the door's arc.
The reach range requirements also changed. For example, the new regulations provide that the side reach range must now be no higher than 48 inches (instead of 54 inches) and no lower than 15 inches (instead of 9 inches). Imagine a person in a wheelchair making a parallel approach to a dispenser as opposed to rolling forward directly to the dispenser. The person must reach out to his/her side to use the dispenser, and the new regulations change where a dispenser can be located.

Maybe this will clear things up a bit.

Ed
Ed911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 04:09 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed911 View Post
Thanks Bud.

Parallel approach...that would be along side the toilet.

Architectural Changes
The revised regulations include changes to physical access requirements that would affect areas such as restrooms. For example, the old regulations required that a restroom be configured with a "front" method of allowing a person to transfer from a wheelchair to a toilet. A single-user room or stall must now must provide clearance for both a forward and a parallel approach. The in-swinging doors of single use toilet or bathing rooms may swing into the clearance around any fixture if clear floor space is provided within the toilet room beyond the door's arc.
The reach range requirements also changed. For example, the new regulations provide that the side reach range must now be no higher than 48 inches (instead of 54 inches) and no lower than 15 inches (instead of 9 inches). Imagine a person in a wheelchair making a parallel approach to a dispenser as opposed to rolling forward directly to the dispenser. The person must reach out to his/her side to use the dispenser, and the new regulations change where a dispenser can be located.

Maybe this will clear things up a bit.

Ed
In reference to your above post where you said, "along side the toilet", how does that answer the parallel approach described in the word document I attached, (not the sketchup drawing)? In the context of the shower requirements does it mean parallel to the fixture wall of the shower stall? I'm still not clear.

Also, in your post about the enhanced requirement for toilets, I'm interpreting that to mean 5' diameter circle in front of the toilet like it's always been, plus enough room from the side of the toilet to allow a wheelchair to taxi straight toward the back wall (where the tank will rest against) and be able to grab the wall bar and lift and move sideways to the toilet seat.

If so, that means the lav, which is customarily to the left or right of the toilet and out of the 5' diameter clear area will now have to well clear of this new area. I've seen no new drawings of this and our inspector is still using the old drawings.
Do you know what the new clearances are?

Thanks for the heads up.
n175h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 05:39 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 152

Quote:
Originally Posted by n175h View Post
Do you know what the new clearances are? Thanks for the heads up.
It appears that you have designed your shower in compliance with the pictured ADA side approach transfer shower, with one exception...their's has an open front, where, on the other hand, you have a wall restricting the space. The ADA design drawing that you have posted, as well as the drawing in the document below...allow for backing into the shower area by parallel route...so maybe...with the wall, you're a little short on room. But, that's why we have inspectors. What's he say?

From you, "The approach area is longer than the 36" required in the gov't spec." That spec. is 48 inches minimum in both your word doc drawing and the one below, and both ADA drawings are open to the front.

Figure 608.2.1 Transfer Type Shower Compartment Size and Clearance
http://www.ada.gov/regs2010/2010ADAS...rds.htm#sec608

Hope this helps, Ed

Last edited by Ed911; 12-15-2011 at 07:46 PM.
Ed911 is offline   Reply With Quote