Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-19-2013, 10:48 AM   #1

Share |

ACQ rated fasteners

According to this article:

http://www.aces.edu/poultryventilati...5ACQLumber.pdf

New pressure treated lumber uses different chemicals and can really cause corrosion if the proper fasteners are not used. I have seen posts made by pros saying their non-ACQ rated screws totally rotted out in 1 year.

I have seen screws and nails that are ACQ RATED.

My question is are standard stainless steel OK because it's "stainless"?

Or one must get ACQ rated screws?

I have a box of "SPAX stainless steel square drive screw" and I don't know if I can use it for todays PT lumber?
miamicuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 11:13 AM   #2

ACQ rated fasteners

Go for it.
framer52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 01:47 PM   #3
Civil Engineer

ACQ rated fasteners

Unfortunately it is not so simple. There are over 100 different types of stainless steel, and some of them apparently corrode readily in ACQ treated wood. For a full description of the performance of difference types of fasteners made of different materials, see http://www.nadra.org/industry_news/acqarticle.html.

The article is very careful to note how little is really known about fastener performance in ACQ, and it does not make specific recommendations, but if you read it carefully you will see that certain types (not brands) of stainless steel are listed as performing better than others. Unfortunately the specific type of stainless is not always listed on the box of nails, so it may be impossible to determine if the specific fasteners you have are of the type that are claimed to be resistant to ACQ corrosion.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 04:18 PM   #4
journeyman carpenter

ACQ rated fasteners

just look for fasteners which clearly state ACQ rated on the box.. senco makes them. so does Paslode. Senco stainless steel will cost you a fortune though. i use their stainless 15 gauge nails and ring shank coil nails all the time for exterior finish work.. its the only thing that will last in a marine environment or with cedar or azek
woodworkbykirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 07:26 PM   #5

ACQ rated fasteners

I just use ceramic coated fastners. A whole lot cheaper and harder then stainless and will never rust out.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote