Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-27-2007, 02:19 AM   #1

Share |

Acoustical Insulation for basement ceiling

I am looking for the CHEAPEST way to stop noise travel throught the ceiling in my basement. I'm not looking for details here. I found R-13 Vapor faced insualtion for $0.24 a square foot. I was going to hang one batt against the ceiling. I was then going to double it up to create (in theory) and R-26 thickness. Now I need to know, since both batts are faced. Will there be a problem having one faced batt smushed inbetween? Make sense? OR am I creating a big mess and should I just spend the extra $250 and go with R-30 from the start. Remeber that I'm doing the work myself - so I don't care how long it takes - AND I am only insulating for sound. Any replies thoughts, would be great.

Tim

newcondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 06:48 AM   #2
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

You can buy R-13 batts Unfaced. Why don't you just use that?

(If your exterior basement walls are insulated, then you don't need a vapor barrier on that area's insulation anyways, since it is "inside" your home's thermal envelope.)

AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 07:29 AM   #3

cheapest way?.....hmmm... tell everybody no walking or talking upstairs while you are in the basement....or wear ear plugs...?

you want your effort to give you your desired results. what noise are you trying not to hear?
Big Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 02:03 PM   #4

Use resilient channel.
http://scafco.com/stud/channel.html
jerryh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 09:40 PM   #5

Well - I like the idea of no talking/walking while I'm in the basement! But I've tried it - she ain't buying it. I am not insulating the walls, just the ceiling. I now know not to use faced insulation, good I'm one step closer. So I"m thinking of using R-19 or R-30. The sounds that I'm trying to drown out are walking on wood floors. TV noise and general noise. Dishes clanking etc. The resiliant channels are an option but not what I wanted to mess with. If I fing it's not too hard then I will try them. Thanks
Tim
Old 12-28-2007, 07:28 AM   #6
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

You could also contact a building supply company and ask them about "Sound attenuation blankets" - essentially, it is insulation that is designed to be denser - for fire-rating and for higher sound blocking capabilities.

Here's some links:

http://www.certainteed.com/NR/rdonly...F0/0/TF886.pdf

http://www.owenscorning.com/worldwid...24726ABP1P.PDF

http://www.idimn.com/pdfs/Insulation...fiber_SAFB.pdf
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 11:06 PM   #7

Thank you - this is actually EXACTLY what I was looking for. I probably crossed paths with this product early in my search (when I had even less idea what I was doing than I do now) and looked past it. Thank you very much. My mind is settled! Now can you help with this darn lighting problem I have- just kidding. I'll post later. Thank to every one. This forum is sweet.

Tim
Old 08-25-2008, 10:50 PM   #8

http://www.greengluecompany.com/

Might be a little more expensive than what you are looking for but it works great. We soundproof home theaters with it.

KHouse75 is offline   Reply With Quote