Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-17-2009, 05:20 PM   #1

Share |
Question

Is this acceptable for a wood fence?

I just had a fence company install a 6' wood privacy fence, and they did something I can't recall ever seeing before. Where there were gaps between the posts and the runner boards, they stacked 2x4's against the posts to fill the difference. Is this acceptable? I paid enough that this job should have been done to fairly exacting standards. But if that is accepted as standard practice, I won't pursue it. Thanks for any feedback.

mgraeber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 05:56 PM   #2

Doesn't sound standard to me. Can you post some pictures?

Old 04-17-2009, 06:00 PM   #3

Standard practice varies from region to region. If you feel the job is not to your liking you should call them back and have them fix it. It sounds like they didn't have lumber in long enough lengths and instead of running to the lumberyard they saved themselves the effort by scabbing some lumber together. It's something I don't do, but this type of stuff is commonplace.
Old 04-17-2009, 08:06 PM   #4

Thank you for replying. I'm trying to post a picture. I don't think I did a good job describing the problem. The deficiency wouldn't be the length of the boards - they didn't line the posts up well enough.[IMG]file:///Users/mendelamster/Library/Caches/TemporaryItems/moz-screenshot.jpg[/IMG][IMG]file:///Users/mendelamster/Library/Caches/TemporaryItems/moz-screenshot-1.jpg[/IMG]
Attached Thumbnails
Is this acceptable for a wood fence?-img_0202.jpg  
Old 04-17-2009, 08:09 PM   #5
Newbie Bill

I don't know much, but I know I sure don't like what I see there.
drtbk4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 08:31 PM   #6

This is very hackey(New word). That is embarrassing, to say the least! Call and have the Company Owner look at it. Tell him you may post this on the internet, see what he says first. Be safe, GBAR
Gary in WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 08:34 PM   #7
Fixer-'til-broker

Looks to me like someone made a "boo-boo."

I'd have already been on the phone to the "contractor" and I'd have no throat skin left...
Old 04-17-2009, 08:38 PM   #8
Learning by Doing

Ok, when you're unhappy with something like this you have to know two things:
1. damages - this is how you were hurt
2. remedy - this is what you want them to do about it?

To me, it seems like an unacceptable install - looks like they just couldn't managed to dig three post holes in a straight line. But, do you want them to fix it - move the post (dig up the existing one, fill it in, dig another, etc)? Other than being non-standard is it ugly? Can you even tell when you look at the fence?

Now, if specific performance (fixing it) is not feasible, will monetary damages make you feel better? Ask them to knock a few bucks off the price, instead of asking them to come out and make it better.
Old 04-17-2009, 09:02 PM   #9

I guess I'd like to know a couple of things. Is this a structural problem? The fence looks pretty good (this is this outside) other than a couple of places where it's not exactly straight, but it's hard to tell unless you are looking at it from the top. Would a slight bend be a structural problem? Also, this is on my neighbor's side, and they have a wooded buffer of fifteen feet or so, so if it's just a matter of appeal, should I still go to the fence company with the expectation that it be fixed because the neighbors might one day clear that area? Should I go on a matter of principle because we paid for this to be done right? Should I be willing to compromise with a price reduction? We paid about $4,300 for 300' with one 3' gate and one 10' gate (not sure if that is meaningful information). We're in coastal Alabama. Thanks for the input.
Old 04-17-2009, 09:11 PM   #10

Hack job

Wait, that even makes a hack job look bad

Whats worse then a hack job?
Redo!!!

Where are you located?
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 09:36 PM   #11
Learning by Doing

Ok, part of me says - it's your neighbor's side, who cares! but part of me says, $4300 ought to have been done right. My script would read, "I am unhappy with the job you did. It did not meet my expectations for professional work (you violated our contract by not conforming to a professional standard ...). But, you could help me feel better about your business if you fix the problem, OR knock $500 off the price (heck, $1000 - start high in negotiation, right?)

Personally, I'd be reluctant to try and make them come fix it - they'll do a sub-par job, have a 'hard time' scheduling you, re-do it and make it somehow worse. But, if he says, 'I'll fix it' let him try.
Old 04-17-2009, 10:08 PM   #12

i think you have a legitimate complaint. the holes were not dug in a straight line for reasons unknown (mild retardation?).

the fence pole in the ground looks pressure treated, but the 2x4 filling the gap looks like it is not. if true, this fence will deteriorate.

also, the fence width is overly large and probably does not meet the design criteria.. heck, you don't want to lose that much property space to a fence sheesh!

you need to also specify in your letter when you want the repair done by. not just "as soon as possible" but a specific date. that way they are not surprised when you elevate your concerns to the next level after that date.

Knucklez
Knucklez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 06:27 AM   #13

The post(s) was/were not aligned - they should have been.

Agreed - the scabbed in boards appear to be untreated - wholly unacceptable.

The horizontal boards appear to be 1x6's - does that strike anyone else as they should be 2x4? I have built several wood fences, and always have used 2x4's. A 1x6 would easily break.

What did they use for the rest of the wood materials? How about the fasteners - should be something that will not rust?

From the picture, I would question all the workmanship in all areas of the fence...
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 09:56 AM   #14

That looks like an act of laziness. They should definitely come back and fix it.
Old 04-18-2009, 10:22 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba_Dave View Post
Hack job

Wait, that even makes a hack job look bad

Whats worse then a hack job?
Redo!!!

Where are you located?

Ooooh boy! Dave... there out there aren't they! They always have been.

mgraeber, you seem like a very reasonable person who wants what's fair and would rather not create any waves. If you have no problem with the appearance, I'd negotiate and settle on a decent number for a refund. No contractor want's to redo anything and if he is reasonable as well, I'd say $300 cash in hand would be a fair settlement. That's a 7% discount.

www.crossworksme.com
"Where Every Nail Has a Purpose!"
CrossWorks is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fence, please help, privacy fence, wood fence