Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-25-2009, 07:26 AM   #1

Share |

Above Ground Pool Privacy Fence

I'd like a little privacy for my above ground pool. Does anyone have any great, creative ideas that won't render my backyard looking ugly at the same time?

hammermonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 07:46 AM   #2

put a deck around it or half of it, and then put a fence on the deck (the kind where you stagger the planks).

OR.. put some really tall arborvitaes around it (or half of it). i would build a mound of dirt about 3 feet high to put the trees in, as opposed to dropping them in the ground, to get some instant height.

windowguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 07:50 AM   #3

I'd think that just about any fence you build around an above-ground pool would make the overall appearance of the back yard better.

Before making any investment on a pool fence you need to check with your local municipality to find out what pool barrier requirements they have adopted. Even if it isn't fenced now, a new fence would be required to meet the adopted code. Appendix G of the International Residential Code has some very specific dimensional/configuration requirements for fences around pools. The appendix G requirements are intended to keep young kids (your kids or neighbors' kids) from getting to the pool and drowning, and are very effective statistically.

If you move forward with this I'll be happy to explain the pool barrier requirements in depth, but there's a lot to it.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 07:58 AM   #4

Thank you for the reference, thekctermite. I definitely do not want to be out of compliance with that, for the sake of my children and the neighbors! Fortunately, we already have the ladder locked up, so one safety feature has been taken care of!

And thanks for the ideas, windowguy. It seems that arborvitaes are popular for privacy. Do they take long to grow? Do they grow well in Texas? I hope so - swimming season is just around the corner!
hammermonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 04:27 PM   #5

i'm no landscape expert, but my emerald arbs grow slow.. (in NJ) they actually grow fatter before taller. HOWEVER, i have read that there is some sort of "giant" arborvitae that is supposed to grow a foot a year. Just google "giant arborvitae" or something like that.
windowguy is offline   Reply With Quote