? About Decking - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-26-2008, 09:59 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

? about decking

Hi . My name is james and I am going to build a small deck . It will be 4feet by 4 feet and 4 feet high .I will use 6x6 post 2x10 boards for the outsides ( I do not know the names, I know that the board that connects to the house is the ledger and the boards on the inside are joist ). My question is , I am going to cut out a place for the board opposite the ledger and the board for the side , in the post .I am going to connect the opposite board with through bolts because it will need the support but on the side board can I just use those big screws ? Thanks for the help!

Advertisement

jamesw6777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 12:28 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

? about decking

Howdy James.

Ok, you're notching out the corner posts to receive the rim joists of the deck on the front and the sides. That's definately a good practice. Provided your notches provide full bearing for the 2x rims, there's no need to bolt the rim to the post. A few deck screws will suffice.

The ledger must be bolted to the house's rim joist. This is usually accomplished with 1/2" lag bolts at 16" centers. Various local codes may have greater or lesser requirements.

You should connect your ledger board to your side rim joists using a framing angle at each connection. This is a 90 degree length of steel angle made by Simpson or USP, and it will be sold with joist hangers at the hardware store. The smaller ones are called A35 or MPA1, depending on manufacturer, but they make longer ones that will yield more strength. It will mount to the interior side of the framing, so you won't see it. Use 10dx1-1/2" nails so the nails don't poke through the side ledger...No screws or roofing nails! Screwing the boards together with no additional bracket will be very weak, because you'd be screwing into the end grain of the ledger...Not good enough.

Since your deck is only 4'x4', you don't have to use joist hangers unless your local inspector requires it for some reason, but you certainly can. It'll only make it better!

Honestly, 2x10 is bigtime overkill for a 4' deck. You could easily frame it with 2x6 or 2x8 and never have an issue.

Advertisement

Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 11:52 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

? about decking

Hello thekctermite : Thank you for your help .
jamesw6777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 10:12 AM   #4
the Musigician

Rewards Points: 2,000

? about decking

i agree with the overkill, but what the heck! i always try to go beyond code when possible too!

DM
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote