Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-24-2013, 09:21 AM   #1

Share |

9' Wall Basement finshing

Hello all..
I've been using the googles and striking out on a question I have. I consider myself pretty handy...I finished the basement in the last 2 house I've owned by doing everything myself.

They just broke ground on our new house (and last) yesterday...we paid and extra 3k for 9' basement (1880 Sq Ft first floor..full basement).

The first thing we are going to do is finish the basement over the Winter (closing in late Sept). Then I got thinking about the 9' ceilings. Do I build like a 1' half wall...then a full 8' (approx) on top of that? Or are 9' 2x4s available? I don't remember seeing them at the local big box stores in 9'

Can I get some hints as to the process of studding a 9' wall?

Thanks!
monsterbash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 09:32 AM   #2

Buy 10 footers and cut them to fit. Also get 54" drywall to make your life a heck of alot easier. Some areas of the country don't have much 54" drywall, but it's worth a look. Some people call it "fat board".
mikegp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 09:42 AM   #3

Interesting...didn't know they had 10' but that makes sense. Maybe I'll hit a lumber yard for this project. I'll certainly have enough time to do research

What the advantage to using using 54" drywall if I plan on using 16 OC studs? 64" kinda makes since.

Or are you talking laying the drywall horizontal (the long way parallel) to the floor

Just did the quick math and figured out the 54" thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikegp View Post
Buy 10 footers and cut them to fit. Also get 54" drywall to make your life a heck of alot easier. Some areas of the country don't have much 54" drywall, but it's worth a look. Some people call it "fat board".
Old 05-24-2013, 09:48 AM   #4

Yea, I'm talking about putting the sheets horizontal which is the "proper" way to install them. You could also stand them up and cut off 3 feet from a 12 foot sheet, but that leaves more waste and more seems to tape. 54" is 4.5ft and you can finish your walls with only two pieces.
Old 05-24-2013, 11:07 AM   #5

How did you drywall the two previous basements?

I am a vertical hangar as I believe that to be easier for the DIYer, no butt joints. As said, you can get 10' sheets from the big box stores.

Or you can go horizontal with two 54" being 9 feet. Do the calc on waste from the 10' and see if that is worth it to not have to hang horizontal.

Only you can decide which way to go.

B
Beepster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 12:21 PM   #6

Buttboards are also an option if you don't want to deal with butts. I tried them out and was pleasantly surprised by their effectiveness. I think trimtrex makes them.
Old 05-24-2013, 12:50 PM   #7

I stood up 4x8' sheets. A good friend of my does mud work for a living...that's the way he recommended. The upcoming job will be about twice the square footage of the last 2 places I did

I checked with a couple local places and so far... no go on 54" drywall. Gonna keep looking.

This extra foot of ceiling height in the basement is gonna get expensive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beepster View Post
How did you drywall the two previous basements?

I am a vertical hangar as I believe that to be easier for the DIYer, no butt joints. As said, you can get 10' sheets from the big box stores.

Or you can go horizontal with two 54" being 9 feet. Do the calc on waste from the 10' and see if that is worth it to not have to hang horizontal.

Only you can decide which way to go.

B
Old 05-25-2013, 07:30 AM   #8
AHH, SPANS!!!

use 105 inch studs for the 9' wall. that is what they are made for. you will need a double wall plate at the top and they will fit. How to handle that extra foot in regards to drywall. put the 12" rip between the two pieces if you run them horizontally. this allows you to mud the 12" seam right in front of you instead of near the floor or up in the air near the ceiling. seems easier though to run the sheets vertically and have the tapered drywall seam only to mud.
hand drive is offline   Reply With Quote