Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-20-2011, 08:10 AM   #1
Mike K

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

8x12 shed nightmare

Since my time was limited and I needed more space since my dad just passed. I hired the jackleg my son works for to build the shed Iv been collecting materials for. $30 hr for him $10hr for my son. He said it would take a weekend but its on the 3rd day now and Im disappointed on methods and progress. First off he started to build the walls before the floor was level and properly supported. Cut my TV/internet cable digging. And the metal roof isn't even on.

I had this bad feeling.. What should I do?
Attached Thumbnails
8x12 shed nightmare-shed-001.jpg   8x12 shed nightmare-shed-002.jpg  

Last edited by rebar; 11-20-2011 at 09:14 AM.
rebar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 08:40 AM   #2
Framing Contractor

8x12 shed nightmare

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebar View Post
Since my time was limited and I needed more space since my dad just passed. I hired the jackleg my son works for to build the shed Iv been collecting materials for. $30 hr for him $10hr for my son. He said it would take a weekend but its on the 3rd day now and Im disappointed on methods and progress. First off he started to build the walls before the floor was level of properly supported. Cut my TV/internet cable digging. And the metal roof isn't even on.

Sorry about your dad. How does that metal roof attach? Is there some kind of a lip at the bottom so that you can attach it to the top plate and overhang the siding?

Old 11-20-2011, 09:11 AM   #3
Mike K

8x12 shed nightmare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Carola View Post
How does that metal roof attach? Is there some kind of a lip at the bottom so that you can attach it to the top plate and overhang the siding?
The 2x6's along the top stick proud 1 1/2" with the same angle ripped on the edge as the metal roof sections. #14 roofing screws with rubber washers will fasten them to the 2x6 with a 1/2" overhang drip edge. Hey.. They were free..
Old 11-20-2011, 09:43 AM   #4
journeyman carpenter

Rewards Points: 4

8x12 shed nightmare

even though the floor isnt dead level, if the floor is square and the walls are framed square it can be built that way without issue, as each wall stands up and locked together properly its not too big an issue,, just dont stand the walls and level them.
woodworkbykirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 09:50 AM   #5
Mike K

8x12 shed nightmare

Quote:

The walls were plumb and then they leveled to floor.

I guess what I was wondering is the time frame. There's 48 hours already into this. Im tempted to finish it myself.
Old 11-20-2011, 09:58 AM   #6
Framing Contractor

8x12 shed nightmare

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebar

The walls were plumb and then they leveled to floor.

I guess what I was wondering is the time frame. There's 48 hours already into this. Im tempted to finish it myself.
48/hrs?...w/2 guys... one man at 30/hr and the other at 10/hr....That's $960.00 for labor.

Made a big mistake saying 1920.00. Even at 960.00 for labor so far you could have bought a shed for that and had it delivered.

Last edited by Joe Carola; 11-20-2011 at 05:16 PM.
Joe Carola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 01:30 PM   #7
journeyman carpenter

Rewards Points: 4

8x12 shed nightmare

when i was a 3rd year apprentice, myself and one other carpenter did a 10x10 shed for a fellow to store his motorcycle in. we had it framed and shingled in 9 hrs, 2nd day we installed the vinyl siding, put doors on it and made a pea stone pathway. all in all about 40 hrs
woodworkbykirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 01:44 PM   #8
Remodeler

8x12 shed nightmare

I would stop this job immediately! If this is the way it is going up to this point don't expect it to get better! This is rough carpentry and he obviously can't even handle this, I guarantee he won't be better at finishing. You don't have much there, someone competent could have that much done in a short day working alone! Apparently $30 an hour is about $25 more than he is worth.

I sure hope that is 48 total man hours, not 48 hours for each man! Locally you can buy some very nice well built sheds for about what you have invested in labor to this point. Just to give you an idea about how yours compares. These are nice, well made sheds; complete with material, labor and delivery.

I would not pay $960 labor to reach this point, and I certainly wouldn't pay $1920. I would fire him immediately and agree to pay a reasonable amount for what he has done, or pay him nothing, take lots of pictures, get some estimates from competent people and see him in court.
iamrfixit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 02:21 PM   #9
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 8

8x12 shed nightmare

Does the thirty bucks include the ten dollar helper?

Or, are you actually paying forty dollars an hour for this nonsense?

I'm not totally following the math here.

If what has been posted so far is correct, man that seems really rich to me, and not to be any further along than the job is.
Bud Cline is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 02:29 PM   #10

8x12 shed nightmare

It's a shed, you should have gotten a total price up front for the job.
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 02:32 PM   #11
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 8

8x12 shed nightmare

The shed is big enough that for another $16,000.00 you could heat it and have a place to go when you get in trouble with the wife.
Bud Cline is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bud Cline For This Useful Post:
woodworkbykirk (11-20-2011)
Old 11-20-2011, 05:45 PM   #12
Mike K

8x12 shed nightmare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Cline View Post
Or, are you actually paying forty dollars an hour for this nonsense?

If what has been posted so far is correct, man that seems really rich to me, and not to be any further along than the job is.
Yes 40 per hour total for both. I wanted to keep my son working/learning. Its been three days. First day they didnt even start building because they were getting the wall studs from my dads farm 1/2 hr away. The CCA and other materials etc. Im not sure on total hours because Tim, my sons boss, hasn't answered a email I sent this morning asking for total hours and material price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron6519 View Post
It's a shed, you should have gotten a total price up front for the job.
Yes I screwed up.
Thing was, I had free materials I wanted him to use thinking it might save money. 3x3x1/4" pultruded fiberglass tubing for the 5 runners the shed sits on. True 2x6 rough sawn wall studs from a huge 12x16 equipment pallet. And then the standing seam roof panels from a roof mount ventilator. Free materials I had been saving which might have actually cost more time using.

I asked my son.. "What the F%#k is going on out there" and he said.. " Im just doing what Tim says".. My 19 year old son is a helper.

Iv given Tim $1000. I don't know the cost of the materials so far including the window on the back not seen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamrfixit View Post
I would stop this job immediately!

I would fire him immediately and agree to pay a reasonable amount for what he has done.
Whats a reasonable amount for Tim so far? Not including my sons $10 per hour. I dont want to start anything with Tim. He employes my son.
Old 11-20-2011, 06:09 PM   #13
Framing Contractor

8x12 shed nightmare

Quote:

Iv given Tim $1000. I don't know the cost of the materials so far including the window on the back not seen.

Whats a reasonable amount for Tim so far? Not including my sons $10 per hour. I dont want to start anything with Tim. He employes my son.
You've given him 1000.00 for him and your son? You admit that you screwed up by not asking him a price up front. There is nothing you can do about it now. No one here can tell you what a reasonable amount is. If they did, what would you do, go back and tell your sons boss? You can't do that.

You are stuck right now without causing a problem with him and jeopardizing your sons job. Just ask the guy how much longer it will take since he said a weekend and now it's three days. Did he know he would have to spend time picking up materials?When he said a weekend, was there anything else that was added that he didn't figure on doing like getting materials?

See what his answer is and maybe you should work with them physically, unless you can't.
Old 11-20-2011, 06:26 PM   #14

8x12 shed nightmare

Those pilings don't look plumb or in line with each other. I don't think your son is learning anything from this guy. You've done the unforgivable...hired a friend/relative/relative's boss! Can't back out now unless your son can find another "teacher"/employer
mrgins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 06:28 PM   #15
Mike K

8x12 shed nightmare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Carola View Post
You've given him 1000.00 for him and your son? You admit that you screwed up by not asking him a price up front. There is nothing you can do about it now. No one here can tell you what a reasonable amount is. If they did, what would you do, go back and tell your sons boss? You can't do that.

You are stuck right now without causing a problem with him and jeopardizing your sons job. Just ask the guy how much longer it will take since he said a weekend and now it's three days. Did he know he would have to spend time picking up materials?When he said a weekend, was there anything else that was added that he didn't figure on doing like getting materials?

See what his answer is and maybe you should work with them physically, unless you can't.
The weekend of work wasn't including getting materials.

I just Talked to Tim. They both have 23 hours into the project and have spent $800. At $40hr for both of them thats $920 for labor and $800 for materials =$1720 at this point.

Yes I can work and it looks like I will have to.