Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-28-2011, 11:22 AM   #1

Share |

8 x 10 corner loft for 14' wide garage-how to support the corner?

I want to put an 8x10 loft in the back corner of my attached garage. The reason it will not go all the way across the back is because I need to leave room for the access door to the house. I figure there are two ways of doing this, the first would be to support the outside corner with a post attached to the concrete slab with corner brackets and Tapcon type anchors. This would work fine, but it would mean that I could pull my wife's car, but not my truck, into the garage because the truck wouldn't be able to pull in far enough. The other option would be to create a beam that would span the width of the garage (14 feet). The question is how large would that beam have to be and how to attach it to the wall? The walls are 16" OC-what kind of supports would be needed to adequately support each end? What kind of beam would be sufficient? I was thinking something along the lines of 3 2x10s.

Badfish740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 11:26 AM   #2
Framing Contractor

It depends what your gonna use the loft for. For general use I think what you propose will work.

sixeightten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 11:31 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixeightten View Post
It depends what your gonna use the loft for. For general use I think what you propose will work.
The idea is to move stuff out of the attic-our attic access stinks. Out of season clothing, seasonal decorations, that kind of thing. There won't be a lot of headroom (a little less than 6') so its not like I could put a ton of stuff up there anyway. Any tips on how to attach the beam to the walls?
Badfish740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 11:35 AM   #4
Framing Contractor

If the beam sits under the loft you can just run it into the walls and support it with posts of jacks. If it sits on top of the wall, just nail it down. I don't think the wall connection is a big issue. As far as the loading, after you start loading it check the deflection wit a string. If it starts to get a sag, add another ply of 2x10.
sixeightten is offline   Reply With Quote