Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-13-2010, 03:20 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

8' tall privacy post,4x4 or 6x6 posts?

Thinkin about replacing my 6' tall(falling apart) privacy fence with a 8' tall fence. The 6' fence thats up now is built with 4x4 posts 8' apart.If I make the new one 8' tall 8' apart,will I need to use 6x6 posts to compensate for the extra wind resistance? Ive never built a fence before,how deep do I need to bury each post? I do plan on using concrete(Sakrete) on every post. I plan on using 8' long treated 1x6 boards for fence.Any thoughts or recomendations appreciated.THX
New to home improvment in central Indiana

rcers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 04:33 PM   #2
remodeling pro

6 x 6's will look a lot better on a tall fence, plus their extra width will give a little more resistence in the ground to wind load. If you want it to stay upright for the long term, you should go no less than 42" in the ground, there is an awfull lot of wind load on an 8' fence. Close the post spacing down to 6', otherwise the horizontal runners will sag on 8' span, and use four horizontals instead of the usually seen three. Keep the top and bottom ones no more than 1' from the ends of the boards, these treated 8'ers will warp like crazy. Burying a wood post in concrete just hastens it's demise, I prefer to fill with tightly packed drainage rock.

Pay attention when driving and you will see what happens ; 80% of fences erected do everything to the minimum, and it shows within one year...they all lean because of insufficient depth of posts, many sag because of excessice post spacing, and the ones that use pt boards mostly look like crap they are so warped up.

Be sure all your fasteners are quality and rated for the new treatment chemicals, they are brutal on metal.

BEFORE ANYTHING, CHECK WITH LOCAL PERMITTING AGENCY, RESIDENTIAL FENCING IN MOST JURISDICTIONS IS USUALLY LIMITED TO 7', UNLESS YOU APPLY FOR A ZONING VARIANCE, AND THEY CAN MAKE YOU CUT IT DOWN TO HEIGHT!!!..PLUS PAY A FINE FOR NO PERMIT AND A PENALTY FOR CONSTRUCTING AN ILLEGAL STRUCTURE.

troubleseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 07:41 PM   #3

Suggest you seriously reconsider the need/desire for a 8' fence - even if you can erect one legally, do you really want it that high for cosmetic and neighbor considerations? In the technical side, it must be much more robustly constructed than a lower fence.

I like to build my fences with metal posts enbedded in concrete - thay last 2x-3x the typicaly wooden post. Many wooden fences fail at the wooden posts first. Brackets are available to fasten the wooded cross members to the metal posts.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 12:07 AM   #4

6x6's will be exponentially more expensive. Have you priced them compared to the 4x4's? You'll need to buy 12' lengths in order to get an 8' fence. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

A lot of cities actually require engineering on fences that exceed 6' in height...Honestly. An 8' fence catches an immense amount of air. Agreed, 3-1/2' is a good depth. Plan on a couple sacks of concrete per post, more if you drill 8" holes for 6x6's.

Toubleseeker is right in that you had better check the legality of a fence of that height. In the cities I've worked in you'd never be allowed to exceed 6' without a variance. Normally the variances are limited to 7'.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 11:48 AM   #5
Mod

Rewards Points: 92

I'de be "filling" the 12" hole with concrete.
kwikfishron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 09:57 PM   #6

You could try something like leaving the 4x4s 8' high and drilling some holes through them for a couple courses of 1/2" copper pipe.

It looks pretty cool and then you could get creative on what to attach to it.
It makes a good support for a vining plant for instance.
handifoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 12:28 PM   #7

A fence the way you described is going to be crazy $$$ as others have said. Check local laws first. Here is a clip from OP which thekctermite might be familiar with:

http://www.opkansas.org/Doing-Business/Fence-Permit
Quote:
Fence permits must be obtained before construction begins. They are required when:
  • A new fence is being constructed
  • An existing fence is being extended
  • An existing fence is being replaced with a new fence of a different size, at a different location or of a different design (e.g. a chain link fence being replaced by a wood privacy fence)
  • More than 50 percent of the linear length of an existing fence is being replaced
A fence permit is not required if less that 50 percent of the length of an existing fence is being replaced and no changes are made to the fence size or materials.
  • If less that 50 percent of an existing fence is being replaced, the replacement fence must be in compliance with location and design requirements or be identical to the existing fence (i.e., the same location, the same size and design and constructed of the same materials).
A fence cannot be replaced if it is located near a street intersection and impedes visibility in the sight distance triangle.
Rules baby, rules:
Quote:
• Height - the maximum height of any fence is eight feet above average grade.

• Design - all fences and walls shall be constructed with a fi nished surface facing outward from the property. Any posts or support beams shall be inside the fi nished surface or designed to be an integral part of the fi nished surface.

• Gate - all fence segments abutting a thoroughfare, except for corner lots, must provide one gate opening per lot to allow accessto the area between the fence and the street pavement for maintenance and mowing. An exception may be granted if the city receives a letter from the Home Association stating the area is maintained by the Home Association and not by individual homeowners.

• Sight distance triangles - fences or walls constructed near street intersections are required to stay clear of an area known as the "sight distance triangle" in order to provide a reasonable degree of traffic visibility. See OPMC 18.420.060 (Unified Development Ordinance) for more information.

HitLines is offline   Reply With Quote