Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-24-2008, 11:05 PM   #1

Share |

8 or 9ft ceilings

Getting ready to build a new house and have the option for $6000 to make the main level 9ft ceilings vs 8ft. Is this a good investment? Also for $2000 have the option to put a tray ceiling in the master. Any thoughts or ideas are welcome thanks
PharmD07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 08:17 AM   #2

8 or 9ft ceilings

Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmD07 View Post
Getting ready to build a new house and have the option for $6000 to make the main level 9ft ceilings vs 8ft. Is this a good investment? Also for $2000 have the option to put a tray ceiling in the master. Any thoughts or ideas are welcome thanks
What do you want to do?

AFAIC, 9' ceiling just means another foot of heat I cannot feel.
LawnGuyLandSparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 08:24 AM   #3

8 or 9ft ceilings

When we built our house our builder suggested 9 foot ceilings as we had a one storey home and we were adding another floor, (we gutted the whole house, the only thing left were the two side walls, so that I would not have to move in 4 feet on each side, according to code).

The builder said that the added costs was very minimal, (just another row of blocks basically).

$6,000 sounds a lot to me. Has he told you why the extra 6K?

As to whether I like the 9 feet? Yes, most definitely. It gives the area a larger more open feel. I really like it. The tray ceilings in the bedroom I really like also.

I say go for it.
yummy mummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 01:03 PM   #4
MA licensed remodeler

8 or 9ft ceilings

One of the main reasons for extra cost with 9' or 10' ceilings is that it means ALOT of extra overhead work. The framing sub won't cost you much more, but most of the others will (boarders, plasters, electrician, painter, etc).

Some extra materials too (but not that much for just an extra foot).

I have no idea what the footprint of your new house will be, but it does not sound like your builder is taking advantage of you based on the info you provided.

Also, high ceilings make the rooms seem much bigger IMO. Even if it is just going from 8' to 9'. The diff is quite noticeable. Personally I'd do it.
iremod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 01:08 PM   #5

8 or 9ft ceilings

You will be very happy with the extra 12 inches and the return on your investment if you sell, sell that is after the market returns.
chuck81 is offline   Reply With Quote