Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-28-2011, 07:39 PM   #1

Share |

6X6X15 ft posts look too small

My carpenter built a 18X14 screened in porch attached to new garage with same roof over both. The porch is perched on PT 6X6s. It's beautiful except the 6x6s look like match sticks to me because it's 15-16 ft off ground. I'm thinking of wrapping them with 1x6s & 1x8s and redoing the cross ties. I feel pretty stupid because I should have made him use 8x8s. At this point what should I do? Thanks.

Jack Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 07:52 PM   #2
Disabled wood vet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Logan View Post
My carpenter built a 18X14 screened in porch attached to new garage with same roof over both. The porch is perched on PT 6X6s. It's beautiful except the 6x6s look like match sticks to me because it's 15-16 ft off ground. I'm thinking of wrapping them with 1x6s & 1x8s and redoing the cross ties. I feel pretty stupid because I should have made him use 8x8s. At this point what should I do? Thanks.
That passes codes everywhere except Cali and Florida I would guess, with some mid-span bracing. I probably would have went with steel posts and box em out to 12x12 or similar. These posts will most likely twist and bow as they dry as well.

titanoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 07:59 PM   #3
Framing Contractor

Quote:
Call your building department and ask the building inspector.
Old 11-28-2011, 08:37 PM   #4

Quote:
It's not clear from your post whether your concerns are aesthetic, structural, or both. Can you elaborate?
Ironlight is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ironlight For This Useful Post:
Jack Logan (11-30-2011)
Old 11-29-2011, 05:19 AM   #5
JOATMON

A 6x6 is a pretty stout piece of lumber....but like ironlight said....are you concerned about looks or strength?

Strength wise....on downward force....plenty of strength....assuming they are proper crossed braced. Hopefully he used some Simpson hardware on top.

I live in California (earthquakes)....I have 6x6's supporting the second floor of my 2-story addition.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 05:37 AM   #6
DIY staff

If you are looking for a look more in proportion to the size of the building---then wrapping the existing with cedar or other material is a good way to go---

If you don't own the tools needed for the job---calling in your carpenter for a day might be the best solution.

If you wish for some suggestions or techniques--post a picture or two and someone here will help.
Old 12-08-2011, 09:09 AM   #7

The slenderness ratio of the posts needs to be checked. Having done so (ie the height and bracing of the posts proves ok) then adding two additional posts at each corner spaced slightly apart from the exiting might add more elegance. ( three posts at each corner in total forming a 90)

Marvel is offline   Reply With Quote