Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-22-2013, 10:33 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

6x6 post notch

Would 2.5 - 3 inches from the bottom of the post be too close to start a post notch that will hold a 2x10?

dabeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 11:26 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

6x6 post notch

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabeast View Post
Would 2.5 - 3 inches from the bottom of the post be too close to start a post notch that will hold a 2x10?
Is the post sitting on top of a footer near grade, or is it embedded in concrete? That is, what exactly do you mean by "bottom of the post"?

cortell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 02:02 PM   #3

6x6 post notch

Sitting on a 6x6 simpson base that is bolted to a concrete footer. I don't know how it happened but one of my footers is about 2 inches higher than the rest so I need to move the notch down which only leaves 3 inches on the bottom of the post. This particular post is continuing up through the decking for a corner post so the beam cannot rest on top of the post hence the notch.
Old 10-22-2013, 02:25 PM   #4

6x6 post notch

I see. One concern I'd have is that a crack could develop. However, I wouldn't be too worried as long as the 2x10 is well fastened to the post with two carriage bolts and the 2x10 is fully bearing on the post (not suspended by the bolts). Let's say a crack develops and even goes entirely through the 3" inches. The 2x10 isn't going anywhere and chances are the now separated lip won't either as there is weight bearing down on it. But let's say it does. The carriage bolts will probably have no problem holding up the 2x10. But let's say it doesn't--very worst case. That corner of the deck drops 3". Hardly a catastrophic outcome. But it's all very unlikely. Chances are you'll have no problems.

That said...you're calling a single 2x10 a "beam"? I'm wondering if you have bigger things to worry about.
Old 10-22-2013, 03:04 PM   #5

6x6 post notch

It is going to be doubled up 2x10 beam not just 1 . With 2 bolts per post. 16 feet wide deck with 3 posts.

Deck is only going to be 2 feet off the ground so that 3" drop (if it did happen) wouldn't mess anything up as it is free standing deck so no damage to the house.

I'll give it a go and see in the years to come what happens.

Thanks,
Old 10-22-2013, 03:12 PM   #6

6x6 post notch

Quote:
It is going to be doubled up 2x10 beam not just 1
OK. So now I have another question. You said "This particular post is continuing up through the decking for a corner post".

Are you saying that the remaining 2.5" x 5.5" of post cross-section is going up through the decking and will serve as a railing post? That would not be good.
Old 10-22-2013, 03:33 PM   #7

6x6 post notch

Yes?

The post will be on the simpson base. 3 inches up from that base is where the bottom of the 2x10's will start (notched into the 6x6 post) from there the post will continue up.

Crude image below.
Black box is 6x6 post.
Brown is the 2x10s.
Purple will be the decking
Green is simpsons base + footer
Attached Images

Old 10-22-2013, 03:46 PM   #8

6x6 post notch

Quote:
Yes?

The post will be on the simpson base. 3 inches up from that base is where the bottom of the 2x10's will start (notched into the 6x6 post) from there the post will continue up.

Crude image below.
Black box is 6x6 post.
Brown is the 2x10s.
Purple will be the decking
Green is simpsons base + footer
Oh...that is not going to work. You cannot rely on 2.5" of lumber to resist the lateral loads that post is required to support (200lbs), particular with the potential for cracks at the notch corner.

http://www.jlconline.com/lumber/stro...den-decks.aspx

Last edited by cortell; 10-22-2013 at 03:49 PM.
Old 10-22-2013, 04:05 PM   #9

6x6 post notch

Quote:
Originally Posted by cortell View Post
Oh...that is not going to work. You cannot rely on 2.5" of lumber to resist the lateral loads that post is required to support (200lbs), particular with the potential for cracks at the notch corner.

http://www.jlconline.com/lumber/stro...den-decks.aspx
Is it not going to work because of the 3'' base or because of the notch and extending through the decking?
Old 10-22-2013, 04:33 PM   #10

6x6 post notch

Both. The article has useful details on this. But to summarize...notches can lead to cracks. Cracking in your case could be more serious since the notch is so close to the post end. As I stated earlier, this isn't so much a concern if we're just talking about supporting the beam 3" above grade. However, it's a very serious concern now that you're talking about this post also being a railing post.
Old 10-22-2013, 04:51 PM   #11

6x6 post notch

Quote:
Both. The article has useful details on this. But to summarize...notches can lead to cracks. Cracking in your case could be more serious since the notch is so close to the post end. As I stated earlier, this isn't so much a concern if we're just talking about supporting the beam 3" above grade. However, it's a very serious concern now that you're talking about this post also being a railing post.
Hmm might have to rethink the railing then. Was only going to put it up for the looks as this deck is only going to be 17'' off the ground.
Old 10-22-2013, 05:02 PM   #12

6x6 post notch

The more I think about that design you drew, the more troubling it seems to me. Even if we can assume no cracking will occur, you have other issues. Lateral loads applied to the post will act to rotate your beam! Normally, railing posts are fastened to the deck's band joist, and a failure of the post normally involves the band joist separating from the deck. That's not catastrophic to the deck support structure. It is for the railing, but at least the deck remains standing. If you rotate the deck's beams to the point of displacing it from its support column, that a whole different story. That's catastrophic to the deck itself.

Just saw your latest post. Yes. Back to the drawing board on that one. Honestly, your best bet is to just connect a railing post to each side of the corner and forget about using the beam support post.
Old 10-22-2013, 09:36 PM   #13

6x6 post notch

So how do they do it when there is a pergola on top of the deck do they not notch the posts for the decking and then go up for the pergola?
Old 10-22-2013, 09:45 PM   #14

6x6 post notch

Quote:
So how do they do it when there is a pergola on top of the deck do they not notch the posts for the decking and then go up for the pergola?
You mean notch the posts for the *beams*? I sure hope not. That's more dangerous than what you're proposing, BTW.
Old 10-22-2013, 09:50 PM   #15

6x6 post notch

Quote:
You mean notch the posts for the *beams*? I sure hope not. That's more dangerous than what you're proposing, BTW.
Yea don't pergolas over a new deck notch the post for the decking? With the post going from ground to the top.