6x6 Deck Post Twisted - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-08-2007, 03:12 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

6x6 deck post twisted

My father built a 2-story deck on my house. It's a ranch with a walkout. The bottom level is concrete patio, the upper deck is wood. There are 8 6x6 posts that are set in the concrete patio that support the 2nd story. I have one of those 6x6 posts that is really starting to twist. It's bad enough to the point where the slats have popped out, everything that is screwed into it has broke on the one side and the other side has crunched up so far that it's splitting the pieces of wood that it's twisting into. I really don't want to tell my dad if I don't have to. But is there anything that I can do to get this fixed? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Debbie

Advertisement

debbiet23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 03:49 PM   #2

6x6 deck post twisted

It seems that you will either have to tell Dad and ask him to fix it, or pay a contractor to come in and fix it. I have seen this happen when wood dires out, but is sounds really bad in your case. Do you have a digital Picture? I would be interested to see.

Jamie Schaefer
NY State Licensed Home Inspector

Advertisement

liinspector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 04:41 PM   #3
Long-Time DIYer

Rewards Points: 500

6x6 deck post twisted

Debbie,
Pressure-treated wood seems to twist worse than untreated sometimes. The only solution is to replace it. Sorry.
Good luck!
Mike
Mike Swearingen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 12:00 AM   #4

6x6 deck post twisted

No, unfortunately, I do not have a digital camera. If I can find one to borrow from someone sometime, then I'll be happy to send you a picture. Thank you, both Jamie and Mike, for your responses. I appreciate the info.

Debbie
debbiet23 is offline   Reply With Quote