Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-03-2010, 09:23 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

6" wall cap under or over the hardiboard planks?

Im taking on a diy project to vent my island range hood to the side of the house instead of through the roof. I have hardiboard planks and would like to know if I want to place the wall cap beneath the siding how difficult is it to remove the plank and then reinstall it over/around the wall cap? Or is it easier and just as appropriate to place the cap over the siding?

I noticed that the planks are about 3-5 ft long. The wall cap exterior venting location is about 12ft from the exterior ground level. Overall exterior wall height is about 20 feet

Since the planks are partially covering one another I cant see how i can get underneath a plank to remove nails without bending the brittle board beyond reuse.

Any pointers are appreciated.

robismyname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 09:37 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

6" wall cap under or over the hardiboard planks?

you can get one of those handles that hold a hacksaw blade and slide it under the panel to cut the nails,its always a good idea to remove the siding,install and flash the vent then reinstall the panel,you will need to face nail the panel with stainless siding nails

Tom Struble is offline   Reply With Quote