Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-06-2011, 12:04 PM   #1

Share |

5/8" drill bit?

I have a 4x4 post that is being incorporated into a project, I need to expand (3) 1/2" holes to 5/8" holes. I have a 5/8" masonry bit, will this do the trick? I know its about $10 or so for a new bit but I would rather not buy one as I will probably never use it again.

cbzdel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 02:46 PM   #2

5/8" drill bit?

It will do it, but probably won't leave as pretty a hole as the proper bit would, so, depending on your project, you may want to recreate it on a piece of scrap, and see if it meets your expectations.

DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 06:13 PM   #3

5/8" drill bit?

never saw a carbide masonary bit drill any hole into wood that was worth a s**t when done & i've tried to skate by the same way,,, be a champ & buy the f'n bit,,, not only will you have a good clean hole BUT you'll be a manly man for only $10 by having started your own personal collection of tools you'll never use

if you hear it from a guy in the apron store, be VERY suspicious the mtl/method will work,,, when it time to build something together, they won't answer phones NOR help
itsreallyconc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 06:20 PM   #4
Civil Engineer

5/8" drill bit?

Small detail to consider. You already have a hole, so there is nothing for the pilot on the bit (or the center if you use a twist bit) to grab. So to look sharp (and you know, its all about looking sharp), you insert a wooden dowel into the existing hole, and use that so the pilot can grab. Then you look like you have done this a million times. As for the 5/8 bit, consider buying an electricians bit (long, with a small hole in the end for thread). A 5/8 electricians bit is very handy when you pull wire.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 06:32 PM   #5

5/8" drill bit?

You can likely buy a 5/8" spade bit for $2 or so if money is an object. Won't be beautiful, but there will be a hole there. Daniel's advice is good on getting it started.
bob22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 06:34 PM   #6

5/8" drill bit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbzdel View Post
I have a 4x4 post that is being incorporated into a project, I need to expand (3) 1/2" holes to 5/8" holes. I have a 5/8" masonry bit, will this do the trick? I know its about $10 or so for a new bit but I would rather not buy one as I will probably never use it again.
If you're going to do a job, use the right tools. Is you don't want to buy the bit, maybe a neighbor will lend you one(or come over and do a mercy drilling).
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 06:34 PM   #7
Tileguy

5/8" drill bit?

How will you get the masonry bit out of the post when it heats up and seizes inside the post and burns up your drill-motor? Can you replace the drilling machine for ten bucks? Is your medical insurance paid up? Broken wrists are expensive and painful.
Bud Cline is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 06:40 PM   #8
Too Short? Cut it Again!

5/8" drill bit?

The dowel idea will save you a lot of aggravation. I would use a forstner bit. One will cost you a bit more than a blade type bit but they cut fast. A masonry bit is not for use on wood.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 06:52 PM   #9
Framing Contractor

5/8" drill bit?

Not sure how nice these three holes need to be, but you could use an old 1/2" twist style bit and angle it around in the hole to widen it. Wont be an attractive hole, but I bet it will be faster than the masonry bit.
sixeightten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 07:12 PM   #10

5/8" drill bit?

I would use the spade bit and go from both directions to avoid tear out.
Old 06-06-2011, 07:13 PM   #11
Household Handyman

5/8" drill bit?

Masonary bit---NO. Forstner type bit--NO, these are only good for cutting blind holes in wood. Use a dowel in the existing hole to guide/aid the correct sized bit for the job--YES. I would use the dowel and a spade bit, go almost through with the spade bit-until the point just comes through, then finish from the other side. This will give you a nice hole with little broken edges. If you find that 1/2" dowel rod is loose in the current hole, use Popsicle sticks (cheap at craft stores) to make the dowel tight.

Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 07:15 PM   #12
Stairguy

5/8" drill bit?

i agree with 6810. you can try reaming the hole if appearance is not an issue. If not, buy the 5/8" twist bit. You shouldn't need to dowel it first. You would just be wasting your time. Youre only going an 1/8" bigger. It will cut fine. A spade bit would make a mess though.
Millertyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 07:49 PM   #13

5/8" drill bit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron6519 View Post
If you're going to do a job, use the right tools. Is you don't want to buy the bit, maybe a neighbor will lend you one(or come over and do a mercy drilling).
daveb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 02:30 PM   #14

5/8" drill bit?

Wow! So much discussion over a 10.00 drill bit? How cheap and unresourseful are people becoming these days? Just buy the bit, you WILL most likely need it again in your lifetime!
chipbott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 03:31 PM   #15
Learning by Doing

5/8" drill bit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipbott
Wow! So much discussion over a 10.00 drill bit? How cheap and unresourseful are people becoming these days? Just buy the bit, you WILL most likely need it again in your lifetime!
the best DIY lesson I've learned is to not waste time trying to 'make' something 'work' without the right tool.

IF you want to build your tool collection.... haunt estate sales. Super cheap, plus a 50 year old wrench works just as well as, if not better than, a new one.

You don't have to buy things, either. My tap and die set actually belongs to my neighbor. I've got a bigger garage than he does, so it lives over here sometimes.

I have a different neighbor who's got my IR paint remover right now. He borrows tools from me and trades me with 'time' at his machine shop and has done a few CADCAM plans for DH. He also offers his sweat equity in exchange. He and a friend gave me a very helpful hour this weekend.