Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-26-2013, 02:24 PM   #1

Share |

4x8 ledger size for patio cover

I'm planning to build a patio cover and one of my options for joist/rafter is 4x6. I'd like to use the Simpson OHU46-SDS3 hanger for the joists, but this would require a ledger at least 3" thick for the SDS3 screws. I'm considering using a 4x8 ledger, and wondering if anyone sees any problem with this size, as far as the thickness of the ledger. The ledger would be bolted to a double 2x12 that is part of the house framing.

garya505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 04:43 PM   #2
Mod

Why do you feel the need to use $50 hangers...because their black?

The only reason I could see for using a 4x ledger in your case would be purely aesthetics.

Old 07-26-2013, 07:00 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwikfishron View Post
Why do you feel the need to use $50 hangers...because their black?

The only reason I could see for using a 4x ledger in your case would be purely aesthetics.
Yes, I could use a cheaper hanger like the u46 but the hangers will be exposed so I would probably want to paint them black. I like the looks of the OHU hangers and I would only need about 6 of them so I don't mind the extra cost.

The OHU hangers use SDS3 screws so the ledger needs to be at least 3" think. The U46 requires 10d and 16d nails so also needs a thick ledger.

Any problem with using a 4x6 ledger? I have an alternate design in mind that would allow me to set the 4x6 joists bearing directly on the top of the ledger. Then I don't need a hanger and could just use lag screws (or use a 8" TimberLOK) through the top of the joists into the ledger. How about that idea?
Old 07-26-2013, 07:27 PM   #4
Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by garya505 View Post
The OHU hangers use SDS3 screws so the ledger needs to be at least 3" think. The U46 requires 10d and 16d nails so also needs a thick ledger.

If you have a dbl 2x (+ sheathing) you're bolting the ledger into then the ledger itself doesn't need to be 3" thick, you have plenty of meat there for the screws to carry the hanger.

If it's about aesthetics look at top flange hangers as an option, they look much better imo.
Old 07-26-2013, 07:41 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwikfishron View Post
If you have a dbl 2x (+ sheathing) you're bolting the ledger into then the ledger itself doesn't need to be 3" thick, you have plenty of meat there for the screws to carry the hanger.

If it's about aesthetics look at top flange hangers as an option, they look much better imo.
I see what you mean, but the ledger will be bolted through the stucco. I know bolting a ledger through stucco gives some people fits, but it's common practice around here for patio covers (but not decks of course).

What do you think of my idea to set the ends of the 4x6 joists on top of the 4x6 ledger?