Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-26-2011, 02:27 PM   #1

Share |

4x4 saddles

twenty years ago when the house was built,the 4x4 posts that supported the porch roof were set in a metal unit i call a saddle. unfortunately they last about 20 years down here before turning into a pile of rust.. except for the screening framework ,these 4x4s are basically ''floating''...is there a easy fix to this problem..???

saltysenior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 03:59 PM   #2

4x4 saddles

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltysenior View Post
twenty years ago when the house was built,the 4x4 posts that supported the porch roof were set in a metal unit i call a saddle. unfortunately they last about 20 years down here before turning into a pile of rust.. except for the screening framework ,these 4x4s are basically ''floating''...is there a easy fix to this problem..???
Sounds like a stand off that the post gets secured into. Does this set off the floor so the post isn't sitting on the concrete?
Post a picture or 2.
Ron

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 04:01 PM   #3
Household Handyman

4x4 saddles

I could ask "where's down here"? But that doesn't matter now, they are rusted out. A photo would really help, but I'm thinking (Uh-Oh) that this is a "screened-in porch" unit. On some of these here in S. GA. area I have had luck with replacing the "saddles, plithes, standards"--the bottom of the posts, by using pressure treated (PT), cutting it to size, and some design so the post will sit on these. I use a good contractor adhesive to install these to the concrete, secure the posts to this, and the weight helps also.
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 04:49 PM   #4

4x4 saddles

sorry i'm in s. fl. stuart.....did something like that on my mom's porch...however need to find a way to tie the 4x4 to the slab to prevent an upward movement ......code has ties, straps,j-bolts,and god knows what else to hold the roof on during a hurricane...however almost 1/4 of the roof covers the screened in porch....but they accept these ''saddles'' to hold that part of the roof.....
saltysenior is offline   Reply With Quote