4x4 Posts On Top Of Existing Concrete Pad - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-22-2009, 12:35 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Cool

4x4 posts on top of existing concrete pad

I have a campsite near the Ohio river and we pull our old camper down every summer. I had a sizeable concrete pad poured several years ago. There's little shade and I want to build a 4 x 4 type of canopy that I can rig with movable canvas on rings. The wind has destroyed just about every canopy I've had from the typical EZ-up to bigger shelters. It's a real hassle to take down a canopy every Sunday and then put it back up on Friday. I was thinking 4 x 4 post anchored to the concrete pad sloping toward the front so rainwater in the canopy would run out there. I don't know the best way to anchor the posts to the concrete, how many posts to use, how far apart to set the stringers on top that will have a stainless wire that the canvas will hook to. Oh, the campsite floods almost every year too so it might be good to use bolts and nuts so I could remove the posts when we finally have to stop camping. I am familiar with basic carpentry and have tons of tools. I would appreciate any ideas!

Advertisement

qcliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 07:48 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Simpson provides a metal bracket for connecting a 4x4 post to concrete
Number of posts would depend upon the size of the structure & what they are supporting

Advertisement

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 07:52 AM   #3
Remodeling Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,000

The post should be set off the concrete. Use post anchors that are made for this.
Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 11:00 AM   #4
dIYHell

Rewards Points: 150

Get Simpons post base similiar to this http://www.strongtie.com/products/co...BA-ABE-ABU.asp you can drill and epoxy in 5/8 threaded rod. Follow the instructions on the epoxy for depth and size of holes. When your done with the site you can just cut them. Most deck sites have details on what it takes to build trellises and overhead structures.

Use the specified Simpons Screws for fastening to the posts to the post base you can then remove the posts afterwards and even unbolt the post base if you want.

My only concern is since all these post holders are bolted to concrete and not sunk in how strong they are for laterlal loads from winds. best it you tie all the posts together with some beams to give it more stability.
rocketdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 11:05 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,000

how thick is the concrete and how close to the edge are you thinking?
tpolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 11:26 PM   #6

If you just want shade, how about woven shade cloth. It stands up to wind pretty well but water runs through it. It comes in various degrees of light blocking from about 40% to 90%. I used to use it for bedding plant protection.
doublesharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 11:55 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,000

Have you considered planting some tree's! They good for shade and put oxygen back into the atmosphere!
Wildie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 10:54 PM   #8

Talking

I think this is just what I will need. The concrete is 7" and the pad is about 20x24-a lot wider than I'll need the canopy to be. Trees would be great but I need shelter now, not 10 years from now. We replant new seedlings every year and some survive the yearly flooding. I have access to canvas that I'll waterproof. If anyone is interested, I'll furnish pics of the finished product this spring.

Advertisement

qcliffy is offline   Reply With Quote