4 Inch Drain Pipe - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-15-2007, 04:25 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 150

4 inch drain pipe

I have a drain pipe I need to extend about 3 more feet. Heres the question. The pipe that is there now is solid, 4 inch black flex pipe. I have some perfereted left over from another job. Can I use that and maybe cover it with landscape cloth and back fill with dirt. the drain goes to daylight.

Advertisement

econdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 05:16 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

4 inch drain pipe

Sure, that's what I did when I did mine and my neighbors along with pop-ups.

Advertisement

Zero Punch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 05:50 PM   #3

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074
Rewards Points: 2,142

4 inch drain pipe

If you have holes in the pipe it will not carry the water away, especially for low water flows. Just as it makes little sense to try to slope a perforated pipe. - A perforated pipe is just a collector.

It can actually work in reverse since water can enter through the holes, fill the pipe and back up unless you have a very, very steep grade.

Not a good move!

If it is from a downspout, it should be at least 10' away from the house. You can use a pop-up if you don't like the looks. The pop-ups are not foolproof when it comes to backflow. It is hard to beat draining to daylight, a large drain pit or a "french" drain downhill.

Last edited by concretemasonry; 05-15-2007 at 05:54 PM.
concretemasonry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 08:41 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 150

4 inch drain pipe

the drain when all is said and done is about 40' from the house. It will drain to daylight, the last 3 feet will be perferated pipe covered with landscape fabric so no dirt can plug it up. That is the question I have, will this be alright? it is sloped at a good pitch.
econdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 08:48 PM   #5

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074
Rewards Points: 2,142

4 inch drain pipe

If you have that much distance of solid pipe at a good slope, there should be no problem with the last few feet.

I have seen too many pipes put in with perforated that caused more problems than they solved. Also, too many people just collect water and dump it back into the basement area because the drains are too short.
concretemasonry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 08:55 AM   #6
Russco

Rewards Points: 10

4 inch drain pipe

Do any of you guys have any ideas on tools that can be used to quickly remove the drain pipe grates from 4 inch drain pipes? After a few years, getting them out is a huge chore. I ended up breaking up the grate to get it out. The new one I replaced it with after cleaning out the pipe, I coated the edges with vasoline. I can easily get the grate out now, but the water flowing thru the pipe pushes the grate out on the ground. You would think someone had designed a tool for this?
rweiderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 08:23 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 500

4 inch drain pipe

we use a screwdriver is the grate installed over a lawn drain system ? ? ? the only circumstance i can imagine is the upstream pipe is running full &, combined w/the downstream grate's water load, overloading the downstream drain pipe thereby backflowing UP out of the ground.

we usually install 4" pvc t's on drainage systems w/short risers leading to the frames/grates,,, dick's probably got a better understanding as he's an engineer

recycling's not good for drainage systems
yesitsconcrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 12:57 PM   #8
Russco

Rewards Points: 10

4 inch drain pipe

We don't have issues with the water flowing properly. It drains from the gutters. Getting the grates off the pipe out in the yard is an issue after a little while. I was hoping there was a better tool to get the grates out. The screw driver does not pop it out very well. I end up breaking the grate to get it out.

Advertisement

rweiderman is offline   Reply With Quote