Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-01-2011, 01:07 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

3D LED TV above fireplace - mounting

Situation: Exterior wall, brick fireplace with hearth, extends under window to left, window surrounded by brick. To the right is an exterior door, in drywall. Fireplace is just off-center-right in wall. Want to mount 55" LED above fireplace. Heat checked, not an issue. Plan on tilt and swivel mount for TV. Most recent verbal suggestion is NOT to mount into the brick because it will not support so much weight. Instead it was suggested that we find our studs behind the brick and mount into them. House was built in 1968. Also suggested, wireless router for our components to the TV so no unsightly wires are visible (only the one to plug it in and we can run that into the attic). Happy I waited long enough to do this so that wireless technology exists for the TV and components. I thought about installing a mantel that would hold 200 pounds instead, but the stand on the particular (and most) TV we are looking at does not swivel left/right/down enough for this application. Any suggestions on how to find the studs behind the brick? Or does anyone know of a mount or stand for a mantel installation that tilts L/R/down? Thanks.

artcardriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 05:34 PM   #2
Home owner

Send a message via AIM to Bootz

Quote:
Originally Posted by artcardriver
Situation: Exterior wall, brick fireplace with hearth, extends under window to left, window surrounded by brick. To the right is an exterior door, in drywall. Fireplace is just off-center-right in wall. Want to mount 55" LED above fireplace. Heat checked, not an issue. Plan on tilt and swivel mount for TV. Most recent verbal suggestion is NOT to mount into the brick because it will not support so much weight. Instead it was suggested that we find our studs behind the brick and mount into them. House was built in 1968. Also suggested, wireless router for our components to the TV so no unsightly wires are visible (only the one to plug it in and we can run that into the attic). Happy I waited long enough to do this so that wireless technology exists for the TV and components. I thought about installing a mantel that would hold 200 pounds instead, but the stand on the particular (and most) TV we are looking at does not swivel left/right/down enough for this application. Any suggestions on how to find the studs behind the brick? Or does anyone know of a mount or stand for a mantel installation that tilts L/R/down? Thanks.
Do you have a pic of this ? This would be awesome in helping out

Bootz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 06:03 PM   #3

Of the wall?
Old 01-01-2011, 10:18 PM   #4
Home owner

Send a message via AIM to Bootz

Sure Sorry I don't think I read through the whole post before I responded ... My bad truly ... You get any replies on this yet? Or search some key words relating to this?
Bootz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 09:41 AM   #5

Nothing yet, have read all over DIY. Found some questions about this in elecgtrical, but I'm looking for studs behind brick so that's really a construction related question. It's the holidays. Maybe answers will come when life calms down a little bit.
Old 01-02-2011, 11:06 AM   #6
DIY Hack

i'm not sure i am following this correctly. When you talk about studs behind the brick, and the brick not holding much, are you saying that the brick isn't actual brick at all, but just veneer? Is there drywall above the mantle, and maybe you are talking about the studs in front of the fireplace, that the drywall is attached to?

If you are talking about a real brick fireplace, it should be plenty strong enough to hang an lcd off it. is the mantle hanging on the brick?

maybe a picture of the wall isn't such a bad idea. They also make ceiling mounts if all else fails
Old 01-02-2011, 12:04 PM   #7

It's a real brick fireplace with elevated hearth and extend seating area on left below window - that is surrounded by brick. I was advised that hanging a 78 pound TV + the weight of a mount that is substantial enough to hold a TV that is 55", is not a good idea, that there is no way brick would hold that much weight and to look for the studs that should exist behind the fireplace bricks. Does something about this advice sound wrong to you? I'm all ears, I'm looking for proper advice. There is no mantle. Tried to attach an image, but it wants a url and I saved it to my desktop - too much trouble to figure that out right now.
Old 01-02-2011, 12:21 PM   #8
DIY Hack

take a look inside your fireplace, at the main "firebox" area. is the inside of your fireplace brick or steel? can you see the brick back of the entire fireplace and chimney from outside your house?

if you have brick inside your firebox and can see brick from the outside of your house, I think it's safe to assume you have a "real" brick fireplace, that will hold the weight of your tv easily with the proper anchors. Sleeve anchors would be easiest. A singe 5/16 sleeve anchor set about 1-1/2" into brick will hold about 1100 lbs of both tension and shear. If you use four anchors to hold 80 lbs that puts you at somewhere around 10% of the allowable load ( ultimate load / safety factor) of each anchor. you should bejust fine

Last edited by Mr Chips; 01-02-2011 at 12:40 PM.
Mr Chips is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brick fireplace, hang, led tv, mount, studs