Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-18-2011, 04:57 PM   #1

Share |

33' span

My wife and I want a covered patio addition. 37' x 13' with load bearing posts at 33' and 12' from house. don't care if beam is steel or wood, contractor says it can't be done, I find that hard to believe.

fwjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 05:11 PM   #2

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074

33' span

How does your wife want to support the roof from the house and where? - I am assuming you want to attach one end to the house somewhere (roof wall or ledger).

How will the outer support be actually supported (patio slab or separate footing?

In many places, it can be impossible based on your specified criteria and local conditions like wind, snow and codes. For information will give you better answers. Geographic information is necessary.

These type of additions come under very close scrutiny by any code offical ar futures buyers inspect since that could be constued of being a wat through the back door to add on room (#101 in the code reviewers manual).

Sorry to be so brief, but without more information, it is just a guess and your "contractor" may be right or just doesn't want the liability.

Dick

Last edited by concretemasonry; 06-18-2011 at 09:00 PM.
concretemasonry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 05:27 PM   #3
Framing Contractor

33' span

Quote:
Originally Posted by fwjoe View Post
My wife and I want a covered patio addition. 37' x 13' with load bearing posts at 33' and 12' from house. don't care if beam is steel or wood, contractor says it can't be done, I find that hard to believe.
Ask an architect or engineer. They are the only ones who can design something like that.
Old 06-19-2011, 07:11 AM   #4

33' span

How does your wife want to support the roof from the house and where? - I am assuming you want to attach one end to the house somewhere (roof wall or ledger).

(on top of ledger)

How will the outer support be actually supported (patio slab or separate footing?

(footing encased in patio)

In many places, it can be impossible based on your specified criteria and local conditions like wind, snow and codes. For information will give you better answers. Geographic information is necessary.

(fort worth texas, minimal snow, only wind)

These type of additions come under very close scrutiny by any code offical ar futures buyers inspect since that could be constued of being a wat through the back door to add on room (#101 in the code reviewers manual).

Sorry to be so brief, but without more information, it is just a guess and your "contractor" may be right or just doesn't want the liability.

thanks for the replies
fwjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 08:27 AM   #5
Civil Engineer

33' span

I have no idea why the contractor "said it can't be done". If the contractor is experienced, they would not have said that for structural reasons, there are plenty of potential beam types that would work structurally. Whether the lot geometry prohibits the addition (zoning rules), I have no idea. You may want to hire an architect to design the addition, they will spec the required beams, check code requirements, and apply for the permit. They can also assist you in bidding the job, and finding a contractor to actually do the work.
Daniel Holzman is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
beam, load bearing, span, steel