Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-17-2008, 11:28 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

32x10 Porch Addition with Gable Roof

I am building the deck portion of a 32x10 front porch on a ranch style home that will have a gable roof attached to it.

Here is the photo of my house.

http://webpages.charter.net/my5sons/house.jpg

1. I will run my decking perpendicular to the house.
2. I will use 2x10 for the ledger, double beams sitting flush.
3. 6x6 posts
4. Footers will be poured on clay.

I will use a 20x7" square footing dug 24" deep and compact about 6" of 3/4 " gravel at the base.

Question: What size sonotube should I be using? I want to use 8" because I don't want the concrete to interfere with putting up lattice to close in the underside of the porch. ie if I run a 10" sonotube about 5" above the surface of the ground, it will protrude out about 2" from the post and will be unsightly) Or at least I believe it will.... The tallest post on the left hand side is about 5 feet tall from ground to the bottom of the porch.

my5sons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 12:34 PM   #2
MetalArchitect

the sonotubes should go below grade at 48" to pass the frost line. and i would use at least a 12" dia. tube with no footing. Though with a footing (still at 48" below grade) you should be able to get away with a 8"

The tubes and the girder that they support should not be flush with the front of the porch so if you cover the space below the porch with lattice you will not see the footings. attach the lattice to the back side of the fascia board and frame a 2x4 at each post to attach the lattice to

Rkeytek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 12:45 PM   #3

The frost line in Greenville, SC is only 12". I am digging down 24" just to be safe. According to the AF&PA document on building decks, a beam span of 8 feet or less and a joist span of 10 feet or less requires a 17" round, 6" thick footing. They allow 2" less for square, so I was going with 18" square - 20" square footing simply because I will be on clay, which has the least psf of all soil types....and I will be adding a gable roof, which will add to the dead load of the outer posts.

I am confused, are you saying that the sonotube forms should or should NOT be flush with the front of the porch?

If I use 12" tubes as you are proposing, how will I avoid the concrete tubes being in the way of my lattice enclosure?

Thanks for the reply!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-17-2008, 01:15 PM   #4
MetalArchitect

i was suggesting building a false "wall" at the leading edge of the porch instead of being set back and attached to the supporting posts.
if not that far foward, attach a 2x4 to each post so when you attach your lattice it will clear the footing.

on the clay i like the idea of a wider footing at the base of the sonotube
Rkeytek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 09:12 PM   #5

Thanks, I think I know what you mean. I was brainstorming for a while trying to figure this out.