Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-15-2012, 05:25 PM   #1

Share |

30x10 porch --> small appartment/room

hello all! I'm going to be starting a project here soon that will turn my back porch area into a living space. it's roughly 30x10 with a pitched roof (9' low, 11' high). it sits on a concrete slab that is unfortunately sloped downhill. the plan is to re-frame the entire room and run 2x4 or 2x6 floor studs and then put sub flooring on top to level it out. so here my question. is it better to put the frame up directly in contact with the slanted concrete slab, on the 2x4/2x6 floor studs so its level, or on the subfloor? any suggestions or advice would be helpful. thank you!

Here is what i hope it becomes!

By sampsonwallis35 at 2012-04-15

Sampson35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 06:12 PM   #2
DIY staff

You will be safest if you can keep the new floor joists off the concrete---this will eliminate the problem of damp wood caused by the wood wicking moisture out of the concrete--

Old 04-15-2012, 08:18 PM   #3

If you're asking whether the framed wall should rest on the concrete, the joists, or the subfloor--the answer is the subfloor. This is how platform framing works. Joists, subfloor, sole plate, in that order (from bottom to top).

That said, I'm seeing a possible train wreck here. I'm afraid to ask how you plan on dealing with the slanted slab... Do you have a detailed plan for how everything is going to come together, or are you just going to figure it out as you go?
cortell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 08:59 PM   #4

yeah, im just trying to get as much information as i can. i'm going to have someone help me who is a contractor. i just want to see what options i have available and ask questions so i can present different ideas to him. if im going to do this, i want to make sure its done proper and is going to last. i feel a solution for the floor studs will be tricky. there shouldnt be any water intrusion when its all said and done, but excessive moisture in the air and potential water intrusion years from now are a concern.
Sampson35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 09:13 PM   #5

I highly recommend you raise the slab and forget the idea of using wood framing to level the floor. You'll want to hire someone to do the slab work.
cortell is offline   Reply With Quote