30lb Building Paper - How Durable When Semi-exposed? - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-31-2012, 01:11 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

30lb building paper - how durable when semi-exposed?

Hi all,

Working on getting the siding up on a wall that needed some repair but we're running into winter storms now. Bay Area in Cali, so nothing too serious usually, but I'm not sure we're going to be able to get everything up very quickly due to some financial difficulties - unexpected expenses ate up the money that was gonna go to the stucco-ers.

Is it worth getting the 30lb felt up on the wall, then tarping over it for the winter, or just tarp and ride out the winter storms? We may be able to afford the stucco-ers in a couple of months time and would like the felt up before I pull the trigger on having them come out, but if the stuff is just gonna get damaged I'll just tarp up for now. Other consideration - I have free labor in my brother right now to help get the paper up, in a couple of months I won't have him here and I'm relatively positive I can't get the paper up on my own...

Advertisement

weekendwarrior9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 08:17 AM   #2
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,508

Storms do not last every day. As long as it is secured, it will hold for the couple of days that you have to wait. Even better, tarp tent over the wall to let the felt dry out, keep it heated if too cold to put the stucco on, and you should be fine.

Advertisement

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 02:29 PM   #3
Residential Designer

Rewards Points: 552
Send a message via Skype™ to AndyGump

I will have to disagree in this instance with Greg (doesn't happen much).
Do not let the paper get wet then dry out.
The the scratch coat of stucco needs to wet the paper so it crinkles up and then dries out to make a kind of drainage plane for any other rain water that will get through stucco later.
You will need to have two layers of paper too. not just one for the stucco. One layer of 30 lb. is really not the way to it. Two of 30 or two of 15 is fine.

Andy.
Old 11-04-2012, 09:48 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 75

Thanks for the input. Yeah, I forgot to specify that I'll be double layering but good to point that out, a lot of people don't do it and end up with problems!

I didn't know about the crinkling. We'll just tarp up for now, take our time doing some of the other cheaper repairs, and get the felt and stucco up together next season.

Thanks!
weekendwarrior9 is offline   Reply With Quote