Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-27-2005, 07:46 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

30 year guarantee or diy contract

We've been offered a 30 yr guarantee with a dutch dampproofing course for our cellar which has been damp and unused for more than 25 years. However previous damproofing treatments have all failed as did the 'guarantees' which came with them.

Has anyone ever written their own contract with a dampproofing firm? How would the builder react if we suggested this, and are there any templates we could use to draw up such a contract?

Anyone else tried the dutch bitumen/cavity brick system?
thanks. clare.

clare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 04:28 PM   #2

What failed on the previous guarantees. Did they have a loop hole or did the firms go out of business? Maybe before writing you own get an actual copy of there 30 year read it over have a friend read it over look to see if they are trying to make a loop hole. If so I doubt they would want to work with any contract you make up. and if not then there contract warranty would be as good as one you make up. Unless you take a firm to court the warranty is just a piece of paper if the company doesn't stick by it. Check the company out some too. Do they have satisfied customers? How long have they been around. Have the had to do any warranty service and were those customers satisfied. Find out if and complaints or law suites have already been files against them.

Old 08-11-2005, 07:04 AM   #3

thanks Mg, I've taken your advice and asked for customer examples, preferably ones who've had the system in place for 10 or so years.

I see your point about checking paperwork but I would need a team of lawyers to track down these folks from way back. I'm very sceptical now of any of these guarantees. which is why I'm turning to you folks.

thanks for your help.
clare is offline   Reply With Quote