Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-18-2009, 10:23 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

A-3 Occupancy on roof deck of 4 story R-1 bldg

Have a 4 story V 1 hr building of R-1 occupancy. Is it allowable to use top of Roof deck for entertainment and gathering of up to 125 people (A-3 occ) to watch movies? Roof deck to have a couple of fixed fire pit for warming. I am not considering top of roof deck as a story. Thanks.

Fireball.

fireball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 11:06 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 614

A-3 Occupancy on roof deck of 4 story R-1 bldg

I would think not. The building has an occupancy of R, not A. You may be allowed to, but that would generally entail the AHJ giving you a change of occupancy. Furthermore, would there be sufficient exiting in the case of a fire for 125 people? I have worked on many multi-family buildings, and the stairways are sometimes even 48" wide. But since many roofs are for mechanical and trade use only, the stairs are narrower, and the exits fewer.

It is also doubtful that open fires would be allowed on the top of any apartment building.

What is the roofing material? Most roofs are meant to keep the weather out, and to incur incidental walking by trades and maintenance works, not to be the sight of a party with chairs. Even if the city allows it, I think that much damage could happen to the roofing

Best to anonymously ask you BD and FD. Just don't tell them your name, Fireball, that won't impress anyone

Last edited by Anti-wingnut; 10-19-2009 at 08:58 AM.
Anti-wingnut is offline   Reply With Quote