Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-24-2009, 09:08 AM   #1

Share |

2x6 insulation in 2x4 framing

How could I use the 2x6 R-19 insulation in 2x4 wall framing. I am going to finish my basement and purchased some 2x6 insulation with the hope to insulate my basement ceiling as a soundproofing barrier. However after doing more research on the issue, I see people don't really think it is much help. So now I have roughly 1400 SF of 2x6 insulation and no really good place to utilize it, except if I use it when I insulate the 2x4 walls. Could I position the 2x4 walls out an inch or so from the cement walls to allow more space so the insulation fits snug? I am somewhat frugal, if you couldn't tell, and would like to use the insulation I already purchased. Thanks

Steve

Yorkspy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 09:48 AM   #2
Master General ReEngineer

Ayuh,... It kinda defeats the purpose of 6" insulation to Pack it into 4"...
It's the loft of it that does the work, not so much the glass...

Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 10:51 AM   #3
Civil Engineer

The point about the loft is exactly correct, the glass has almost nothing to do with the insulating power other than to trap air. However, there is probably little difference in insulating value between compressed 6 inch thick fiberglass and uncompressed 4 inch fiberglass batts, so go ahead and use it, you already have it, and relax about the marginal loss in efficiency.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 11:01 AM   #4

Yeah, R19 will give you R13 in a 2x4 wall
Sometimes its hard to stuff into a 2x4 wall

and the fiberglass insulation should not be against the cement
Building the 2x4 wall out 6 1/2" to the face of the 2x will give you the clearance you need

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 11:25 AM   #5
Kekeever

Yes you can build the stud wall out to accommodate the 2x6 insulation. You may want to put some thoroseal or similar coating on the concrete for moisture protection. You will likely also need to install a vertical draft stop every 10 horizontal ft for fire code. This can be plywood or drywall. This is just to close the gap behind the stud wall to the concrete to prevent fire from migrating horizontally.
Kyle Keever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 07:49 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba_Dave View Post
Yeah, R19 will give you R13 in a 2x4 wall
Sometimes its hard to stuff into a 2x4 wall

and the fiberglass insulation should not be against the cement
Building the 2x4 wall out 6 1/2" to the face of the 2x will give you the clearance you need

Thanks this is great help....I have a load of r19 that was given to me and I have 2x4 framing...glad to know I don't have to go out and buy r13....thank alot for the info
hebrewdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 08:10 PM   #7

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074

Those figures are provided by the pink panther and are probably for the lab tested ideal apllication for R-value of the compressed insulation and do not account for the heat loss through the studs, that can be significant, especially if you happen to use steel studs. (up to 40% loss for the wall compared to the R-value of the insulation R-value itself).

Keep in mind the results are "pink" for new. clean, dry insulation in short term lab tests and not real life. Fiberglass does not really absorb any real moisture, but it and an dust will hold it and only 1% moisture can dramatically reduce the insulation value of the insulation itself. Once fiberglass holds moisture (from condensation, leakage or whatever), the insulating value does not return. Since it has the moisture, the insulation is reduced and this can lead to more condensation/moisture since no wall have a real vapor barrier, but is only a vapor retarder.

You can get away with cramming the 6" batts into the 4"(-) cavity, but you will not get any better real effective insulation, but basements do not really need nearly as much wall insulation as above grade wall. Any soil or basement wall long-term temperature is rarely below 55F, while it may be -30F outside above grade. If you think about it, your floor probably has more area at a temperature about the same as the lower half of the uninsulated wall, so that can often be a bigger comfort problem.

Dick
concretemasonry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 10:33 PM   #8

Here is what the panther doesn't tell you: http://www.anchorinsulation.com/pdfs...insulation.pdf

And about the loss through the studs in the whole wall assembly: http://www.coloradoenergy.org/procor...f/r-values.htm
2x6 vs. 2x4 stud wall: http://www.advancedenergy.org/buildi...x4_or_2x6.html

You really should use some rigid foam board to stop any moisture from molding behind your batts: http://www.buildingscience.com/docum...gs?full_view=1

You may need a vapor barrier if in a cold climate.
Here is along the line Dick said:
http://www.quadlock.com/technical_li...Insulation.pdf

And don't forget the rim joists: http://www.rd.com/57548/article57548.html
Be safe, Gary
Old 12-02-2009, 05:24 PM   #9

I'd see if you could take the insulation back and apply the money to the methods that GBR has posted.

I'm using these methods on my basement project.
High Gear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 07:24 PM   #10
PHB Construction LLC

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Gear View Post
I'd see if you could take the insulation back and apply the money to the methods that GBR has posted.

I'm using these methods on my basement project.
Craigs List?
Paulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 12:21 PM   #11
Soundproofing Guy

Excellent thread! Previous comments are right on the money when describing the "loft" of the insulation. Too often compressed insulation in a cavity is equated to better sound isolation. This isn't the case.

Ted White is offline   Reply With Quote