2x6 Floor, Bouncy And Not Level - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-24-2014, 01:46 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

2x6 floor, bouncy and not level

I have a 1970s split level. On my middle floor, the floor is not level and bouncy. It is made with 2x6x 10' and 5/8 plywood subfloor. The floor is bearing on my crawlspace concrete wAll on one side and bearing on a wood wall on the other side. I plan to replace the entire floor with 2x8 16" centers and 3/4" plywood subfllor. My question is , should i notch the concrete wall to accept the new 2x8's? Or could i just bolt on a 2x8 to the concrete and make attachments with. Metal Joist hangers.?

Advertisement

Jbronty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 02:21 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbronty View Post
should i notch the concrete wall to accept the new 2x8's?
Why not notch the ends of the 2x8s instead?

Advertisement

tony.g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 03:47 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

I was thinking notching them would comprimise the strength and cause a split to occur but again, im not sure.
Jbronty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 07:55 PM   #4
journeyman carpenter

Rewards Points: 174

if you have the space below definitiely beef it up to 2x8s. and dont notch them your bascially turning a 2x8 now into a 2x6
woodworkbykirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 11:30 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 747

Me personally...
I would build a cantilever at the 5' mark. This will strengthen the floor far more then 2 x 8's, less expense, less work, win win...
Then replace 5/8 plywood with 3/4 T&G plywood.
ron45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 01:48 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,080

If in the US; D/4 but not in the middle 1/3; http://publicecodes.cyberregs.com/ic...9_5_par030.htm

Gary
Old 02-26-2014, 10:04 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 250

how and why is the floor unlevel? Is there a wall over the ends of the floor joists? I would avoid removing the existing 2x6's if they are not rotten and sister another 2x6 along side it. If the flooring is that badly out of level then remove subfloor and use sister floor joists to level floor. If the sistered 2x6 needs to be shorter than original and can't sit on foundation its not a problem just use construction adhesive and alot of nails. Like said above most the stress /bounce is in the middle 1/3 of floor joist.

I would avoid remove plywood subfloor unless need. Use the saved money to install hardwood flooring perpendicular to floor joists and floor will be rock hard.

You most likely have have an exterior wall over plywood, floor joists and band joist. The plywood secures the floor joists to the band joist. Once you remove plywood and floor joist your house is sitting on just a 2x6 band joist not secured to anything. Maybe that part of your house is built different but you want to make sure you know what your doing before you tackle something like that and i would only do it if boards are rotten.

Best advise for DIYer is to keep it simple.
JustinK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 01:49 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbronty View Post
I was thinking notching them would comprimise the strength and cause a split to occur but again, im not sure.
The 'strength' of a timber joist will not be seriously compromised by notching (within reason) at the ends, though it would if you notched it in the middle.

At the ends, the only stresses the joist has to deal with are the shear stress and bearing stress.

Bearing stress willl not be an issue, as long as your joist-end has at least 1 1/2" on its support.

In domestic situations, shear stress is generally not critical either as the loads supported are not great; a 10 ft span will not be carrying a particularly heavy load.

A 2" notch out of an 8" deep joist will rarely be critical, though you have to be sensible if, for example, there are loose knots or shakes in the immediate area of the cut.

Advertisement

tony.g is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
foundation , framing , joists , level