Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-14-2007, 10:24 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

is 2x6 8" OC really better than sistered "4x6" 14" OC

I am remodeling a recently bought home, removing load bearing walls etc - only to find that a previous owner knew just enough to be dangerous. He added a second story, but did not reinforce the 2x6 ceiling joists. He simply layed 2x4's perdendicular to the "ceiling" joists 16" OC and used a single layer of tounge and grooved 3/4 " floor boards. upon inspection there are many places where the crossing 2x4 do not even tough the underlying joists. I have two sections of the house that now have 2x6 southern pine #2 14.5' floor joists 16" oc. There are no calculators that I can find online that will allow me to calculate appropriate spans as a function of sistered 4x6 joists or at a spacing of 8" oc. Where might I find the equation?? One of the upstairs rooms is a game room and I plan on putting a pool table in it. Should I sister 2x6 joists or space then 8" OC. Should I mount an additional 2x4 along the top of the joist so that the joist contacts all the 2x4's of the 2nd floor support lattice? I plan to add blocking either way.

thanks in advance

mike

thanks

mike.MGI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 02:00 AM   #2
Carpenter/Builder

No pool table for you!
You really need to hire some one qualified to come up with a solution, and execute it properly.
From your description, I'd say the deck and 2X4's need to come out.
You need at least 2X10's up there.
Aren't there lots of cracks in that ceiling?

neolitic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 07:59 AM   #3

I have a recomendation from a structural engineer. He suggested sistering joists and placing the table legs directly under the 2x4 lattice work. I'll reinforce all 4 areas where the point loads will be and perhaps add an additional 2x6 underneath. Heck, witout tearing anything out I could add 2x6's 4' OC if needed. That would be cheaper than tearing everything out upstairs. I could also reinforce the 1st floor joists under the inside beedroom wall. I have engaged advice in with outher chat rooms and one suggestion that sounds reasonable is to minimize deflection by sandwiching 1/2 inch OSB in between sistered joists. And no - there are no cracks in hte bedroom ceiling.
mike.MGI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 09:55 AM   #4
Carpenter/Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike.MGI View Post
I have a recomendation from a structural engineer. He suggested sistering joists and placing the table legs directly under the 2x4 lattice work. I'll reinforce all 4 areas where the point loads will be and perhaps add an additional 2x6 underneath. Heck, witout tearing anything out I could add 2x6's 4' OC if needed. That would be cheaper than tearing everything out upstairs. I could also reinforce the 1st floor joists under the inside beedroom wall. I have engaged advice in with outher chat rooms and one suggestion that sounds reasonable is to minimize deflection by sandwiching 1/2 inch OSB in between sistered joists. And no - there are no cracks in hte bedroom ceiling.
Good luck.
neolitic is offline   Reply With Quote