Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-23-2009, 07:02 PM   #1

Share |

2x4s on block walls

I have a 40 year old cement block house that I intend to attach 2x4 walls to inside block walls and insulate. I can use masory nails or shoot the nails into the block walls. Can I put nails into these old block walls ( none are concrete filled ) without cracking the block? Should I drive or shoot into the mortar joints only?
Captflx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 07:54 PM   #2

2x4s on block walls

I stated that these are concrete blocks. The building is painted inside and out. Don't know the exact difference but the blocks are probably "cinder blocks" which I assume are more pourous than a true concrete block.
Old 08-23-2009, 08:05 PM   #3

2x4s on block walls

Is the existing concrete block a single skin wall or double skin wall?
What's the idea behind the 2x4 wall?
Is the proposed 2x4 wall going to be load bearing?
How high is the proposed 2x4 wall?

Alot will depend on your existing construction. If for instance, if your existing block wall is double skin and you only want to add insulation to the wall, then you can either glue or plug and screw foam board insulation to the block and then install expanded metal lathe (EML) and acrylic or cement render with plaster set or not.

Or, build a stud wall either attached with brackets plug and screwed to the block, or the timber studs glued to the block or foam adhesive to the block, depending how high the wall is and if its load bearing or not..

Then add your insulation and sheetrock (plasterboard) as you need.

Alternatively, (And there are plenty of alternatives) instead of timber stud, use steel furring channel (similar to suspended ceiling grids) fixed to the block wall and the add your insulation and sheetrock etc..

If the block wall is not sealed and is only a single skin wall, personally I would be installing a vapour barrier or membrane to the inside of the block wall, add a small cavity (50mm or 2") and then build my stud wall, insualte and sheetrock etc..

If none of these apply, you need to provide more info so a more defined answer may be given?
davethebuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 08:11 PM   #4

2x4s on block walls

Thanks, Dave. The 8 ft. high inside non-load bearing stud wall is for insulation and to attach sheet rock. I'll try a bonding cement between the stud and block wall and then secure each stud with a concrete screw. It's going to be slow going. I think I need to rule out nails in these cinder blocks.
Old 08-24-2009, 08:25 PM   #5
Wire Chewer

2x4s on block walls

You could also nail the studs to the ceiling joists instead, and maybe bolt them down to the floor. I would be relunctant on putting nails in a foundation wall to hold studs.
Red Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote